• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

In praise of my new Marantz SR6009 AVR

BrianZ

Some have already read my other thread about setting it up, but I wanted to dedicate a thread to my experience so far.

I'm coming from a long history of exclusively 2 channel, older receivers for all my media in a 2.1 system. It was only in the last few years I finally got the sub, but I just couldn't get anything resembling a reasonably flat low end response with just the crossover on the sub (my Harman Kardon receiver didn't have bass management). The spikes I was getting in the 60-100Hz range were so profound that I had to keep the sub at a rather low level, thus cutting out much of the lowest end thump, while also accentuating the valleys (some bass notes would simply disappear!). It was a bummer and I finally had enough, so I bit the bullet and decided to upgrade to a modern AVR with bass management.

Bottom line is: it's amazing. The improvement in nearly all frequencies is noticeable. Warm, detailed and much flatter in the lows. Yes I still have peaks & valleys here and there due to room issues, and so I'm still deciding where exactly the crossover should be. But this is just tweaking an already great sound. One of these days I'm gonna break out the Radio Shack meter and run some Room EQ Wizard analyses to get a better picture of what's happening. I have a set of bass port plugs for my mains that might even come into play. We'll see.

Also want to mention that a very nice surprise is the SR6009's headphone jack. This is a major improvement over the HK 3490, which had a relatively noisy and harsh headphone circuit. But the Marantz's headphone amp sounds every bit as sweet and silent as the primary amp. Late night movies and tv are much more satisfying. I had no idea what I was tolerating.

So that's it! A great unit and an amazing deal from Accessories4less even ($500 factory refurbished, looks mint new). No issues at all so far.

Here's the whole audio system:
Sources: PS3 (bluray & cd's), FiiO X3 DAP (digital music via analog line out), Amazon Fire TV (streaming video), Verizon FiOS cable
Main speakers: PSB Synchrony One B (large bookshelf)
Sub: Dayton Audio Titanic 10" kit
Marantz SR6009, with current favorite crossover of 100 Hz, but definitely subject to change

That's what it's all about! Good on you, Brian. Enjoy. :music-listening:

Welcome to the Marantz family. Enjoy

PS: I still have the factory stickers that are on the front of my SR5009 from acc4less. Oh, well. :scared-eek:

Thanks. No stickers on mine, but that's just me -- love the clean monolithic look of this beauty!

and btw if not for the lack of the phono input i would definitely have sought out the 5009 or 5008.

I really liked everything about the Marantz SR7400 that I had and would buy another Marantz product in a heartbeat.

John

one thing i forgot to mention is a complaint, in fact my only significant complaint: i miss having bass & treble controls on the front of the unit. the only thing i see is a digital graphic eq sorta deep in the menu - far from ideal, or even usable for me, really. it's a bit of a bummer for some recordings.

I kinda miss not having a front display showing all the info. But after having it for awhile, just that little circle with just the volume displayed is really nice and clean.

Been looking at a few on accessories4less. I need to replace my old Denon I have had it for about 12 years.

Nice purchase!

Deerhunter said:
Been looking at a few on accessories4less. I need to replace my old Denon I have had it for about 12 years.

Nice purchase!
Just a suggestion. Buy a 2016 model. Marantz # ends in 10.....example 6010.
Be sure they are at least HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0 or better 2.0a. That way it can handshake with 4K displays/bluray players and passthrough full 4K/60 4:4:4 video.
Not sure about the model # for Denon though.

Nice B!!!! And great price too!

I joined the Marantz family and truly love my 8802a!

Back