• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

I've been a fool!

Maximo

Finally got a center channel to match my paradigm monitor 7's. A three month old paradigm cc-290. Recalibrated my system and away we went. What a difference!

Maximo said:
Finally got a center channel to match my paradigm monitor 7's. A three month old paradigm cc-290. Recalibrated my system and away we went. What a difference!

Congratulations Max, matching speakers makes a huge difference. :handgestures-thumbup:

Dennie

For how many years has everyone with experience from matching speakers been praising the concept and evangilizing to the rest of us that it should be common practice? 8 years? Maybe 9?

Congrats! Enjoy it, and tell the world!

I was not clear. For about a year now I have been running a phantom center. This recent addition plugged a much needed (unbeknownst to me) hole.

I think it was T7 that said get a center back when I announced my new setup. I thought he was a dick because that cast immediate doubt in my mind and has such for the last last year or. So, but he was absolutely right. So now I'm the dick. :happy-smileygiantred:

While it almost always boils down to budget and space/geometry, my experience is that it's not only matching the speakers, but optimizing their position - especially the centre - that will eek out the very last bit of benefit.

To be more specific, while just about everyone is able to position the centre speaker equidistant from the F L/R speakers, it is the rare case that all three share the same horizontal plane, and even rarer that the acoustic centre of the centre speaker is at the physical centre of the image.

I have found there to be as much benefit (if not more) to going to such an alignment as there is with going to matching speakers.

Unfortunately in practical terms this means front projection onto an accoustically-transparent screen - which is way too impractical (space and cost) for most.

ps. For a demonstration of such just sign up to The Great Canadian GTG 1.0! :)

Maximo said:
I was not clear. For about a year now I have been running a phantom center. This recent addition plugged a much needed (unbeknownst to me) hole.

I think it was T7 that said get a center back when I announced my new setup. I thought he was a dick because that cast immediate doubt in my mind and has such for the last last year or. So, but he was absolutely right. So now I'm the dick. :happy-smileygiantred:

:text-imsorry:

A phantom center is much much better than using a non-matching center. If this was a reason why you didn't have a center speaker for the longest, then you did good.

I have matching speakers across the front. First with my Mackies and now with my Klipschs. The sound-stage is seamless and dialog anchored, no matter where I sit.

JeffMackwood said:
...while just about everyone is able to position the centre speaker equidistant from the F L/R speakers, it is the rare case that all three share the same horizontal plane...
I was anxious to hear the difference with setting up my center channel vertically while my center shelf was being "produced". I moved side to side of the center position but could not hear variations in the mid-bass (admittedly I wasn't exactly sure what I was listening for, plus its extremely difficult to do listening comparisons without some helpers).
Having the voice (actor in a movie, soloist on music) coming from a lower position, however (the vertical position dropped the CC tweeter almost a foot) did seem to bother me, however; although, again, without helpers or a blind-listening it could easily be my imagination.

Towen7 said:
Maximo said:

:text-imsorry:
Don't feel bad. You were right!

A properly executed center channel makes a HUGE difference in the movie experience. Glad to see you're happy!!

John

Back