• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Jeff Mackwood's "Classic" Stereo Set-Up

D

Deleted member 133

I've talked about a number of '70s era components that I had saved / salvaged / acquired and recently refurbished. These were all part of my first true hi-fi stereo set-up. I've stated that, for nostalgia reasons (and shits and giggles) I was going to put it all back together again, one last time, for one last listen.

That I have done.

I would have done so earlier but I don't have space in any room to do so - without incurring Gen's wrath. With the exception of my main HT.

After all it does offer the best treated surroundings in the house - and if I'm going to do that '70s system any justice, it deserves a good home.

So I unfolded a folding table and plunked it down at the front of the HT.

P7160137 (Medium).JPG

In preparation for the occasion, I ordered a set of "On Stage" foam pads which have been placed on top of the Koss CM/1020 speakers, on to which I placed the refurbished original Bose 301 speakers.

P7160148 (Small).JPG

These allow the 301s to be angled down at my seating position. They are as effective as Mopads, but considerably less expensive (and available in a variety of widths - the one chosen being perfect for this job.)

The heart of the system is the refurbished Pioneer SX-750 stereo receiver - sporting a mighty 50 W/ch.

P7160139 (Medium).JPG

Signal sources initially included FM (with a brand new antenna connected to its rear terminals) and the Akai GXC-325D fully-refurbished cassette deck

P7160142 (Medium).JPG

as well as the Pioneer PL-510 turntable (with an ADC cartridge of some sort).

P7160138 (Medium).JPG

FM was tuned to CHEZ106 - fittingly the first rock station that that receiver was ever tuned to. I played a pre-recorded cassette as it was the first one with Dolby B that I could lay my hands on. (The Akai predates Dolby C.) And I spun Elton's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road on the turntable.

They all sounded ok - pretty much as I remember those formats sounding on that system.

But I couldn't help feeling that none of those formats were doing either the receiver, or the Bose 301s, justice.

So I connected my iPod Touch - loaded with 320MP3s.

...next post...

P7160165 (Medium).JPG

I played several files and I must say things sounded a lot better. Hey! I'm not talking miracles here, but those reconed woofers did reasonable justice to Tove Lo's Talking Body. Not hitting those low low fundamentals - but pretty solid down to there.

Anyhow, I'm going to listen to it for a few more days, and then it will all get boxed up again, until I figure out what to do with it next. I've already got two full systems out on loan to my daughters, so I don't have anyone in mind yet. Heck vinyl (and cassette) are apparently only getting hotter, so I'm sure someone locally could be trusted to treat it right and enjoy it.

Jeff

Back