• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Laser TV

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
I was kind've surprised this hasn't been discussed on this forum.

Kinda pricey, but actually the cheapest way to get a 125" screen, and not have to have the lights dimmed as with normal projectors.

I was kind've surprised this hasn't been discussed on this forum.

Kinda pricey, but actually the cheapest way to get a 125" screen, and not have to have the lights dimmed as with normal projectors.
Is this legit? The screen and projector are roughly the same or less than I am looking at for a new Sony 4k PJ!! I like how it says on the side "Sound by Bowers and Wilkins"!!

the cheapest way to get a 125" screen
Really? Wow I assumed from what we saw years ago that laser was 10x the price of anything else. But if that's not the case...

How do know about this and the rest of y'all dont.

From everything I have read it is a legit way to get a big image.

And the laser's lifetime is a strong selling point.

How do know about this and the rest of y'all dont.

From everything I have read it is a legit way to get a big image.

And the laser's lifetime is a strong selling point.
Laser lifetime is definitely a selling point. The funky screen design that theoretically takes light from the projector below but rejects light from other angles intrigues me. That is the drawback to my current system , I need a very dark room to get my best image.
This has me seriously scratching my head!!

i always wanted one, but thought people referred to it as ultra short throws. then again, the bulb is a deciding factor, and the ALR screen.

my living room wall limits me to a 65 incher, and too bad i cant go any bigger.

i have a nice 900h with 4k 120hz VRR but doesnt mean jack when kids hit it with darts balls and a bunch of slime. yes, ive tried to tell them, but its also 'accidents'.

I plan to finally build a dedicated media room in the basement in the next few years. By the time I get that done, I will be ready for a new display and the combination of cost, screen size, picture quality and light rejection make these projectors hard to beat.

Laser lifetime is definitely a selling point. The funky screen design that theoretically takes light from the projector below but rejects light from other angles intrigues me. That is the drawback to my current system , I need a very dark room to get my best image.
This has me seriously scratching my head!!
Mine seems to be incredibly forgiving when it comes to ambient light.

This is what I am watching now.

Attachments

• 16674233622136801487504038209598.jpg
    16674233622136801487504038209598.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 17
Why would anyone setting up a new home theater with a display >85" NOT use an ultra short throw and light rejection screen?

Really does seem like a no-brainer.

Why would anyone setting up a new home theater with a display >85" NOT use an ultra short throw and light rejection screen?

Really does seem like a no-brainer.
Well there is one thing upon further review to think about. Some/most of these UST projectors use a single DLP. I used to occasionally get the colour wheel effect with my old Infocus DLP PJ.
Not sure if technology has changed around DLP. I would have to see one in person. Certainly not buying sight unseen.

Well there is one thing upon further review to think about. Some/most of these UST projectors use a single DLP. I used to occasionally get the colour wheel effect with my old Infocus DLP PJ.
Not sure if technology has changed around DLP. I would have to see one in person. Certainly not buying sight unseen.

Ohhhhh ... Yeah. I was/am not a fan of the old color wheel DLP. I haven't consciously seen one in years so I dont know if they've improved in that regard, but back in the day I was extremely sensitive the "rainbow effect".

The other day I was watching a movie on my 12 year old 1080p projector. I’m still quite happy with it but started thinking about a logical upgrade path if/when the time comes. One challenge I can see with a USTP would be placement of the center channel speaker. Assuming the screen is on the front wall and the projector needs ~20” … the CC could end up being >30”. That’s a lot of floor space.

Back