• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

LG 42LS5700 - 1080p w/ Black Bars Top and Bottom...?

The DirtMerchant

Famous
Friend of mine just purchased a new LG 42LS5700, which is a 1080p set.
He hooked it up via a $5 HDMI Cable to his cable box (Cablevision I think...could
be Verizon FiOS).
Every HD channel that he tunes to has black bars at the top and bottom.
ESPN, Discover, TNT, etc...

I asked him to go through the menus and ensure everything is set to 16x9
or auto fit. Everything seems to be right, but the HD pic just does not fill
the screen completely. Cable box says it is outputting 1080i...

This is all being done over the phone, so I can't just sit there and fiddle with the settings,
but it sounds like everything is the way it should be...

Any immediate thoughts? Anyone have this TV and know the exact menu settings
it should have?

There are aspect ratio settings in the cable box too. He may have normal or fill selected for the TV but the source needs those settings selected too.

:twocents-mytwocents:

LED LCD SMART TV LS5700 SERIES PANEL SPECIFICATIONS Screen Size Class (diagonal Resolution BLU Type Response Time Dynamic Contrast Ratio 60LS5700 55LS5700 47LS5700 42LS5700 1920 x 1080p Edge LED TruMotion 120Hz 5,000,000:1 65" Class (64.5" ...1 (Rear) 1 (Rear) 3 (Side) 1 (Rear) VIDEO Triple XD Engine Resolution Upscaler (Plus/Basic) Picture Mode Picture Wizard II Aspect Ratio Just Scan (1:1 Pixel Matching) 0% OverScan AV Mode (Picture & Sound Basic) 7 Modes (Intelligent Sensor/Vivid/Standard/Cinema/ Game/Sports/ISF Expert 1/ISF...

Rope

Rope said:
LED LCD SMART TV LS5700 SERIES PANEL SPECIFICATIONS Screen Size Class (diagonal Resolution BLU Type Response Time Dynamic Contrast Ratio 60LS5700 55LS5700 47LS5700 42LS5700 1920 x 1080p Edge LED TruMotion 120Hz 5,000,000:1 65" Class (64.5" ...1 (Rear) 1 (Rear) 3 (Side) 1 (Rear) VIDEO Triple XD Engine Resolution Upscaler (Plus/Basic) Picture Mode Picture Wizard II Aspect Ratio Just Scan (1:1 Pixel Matching) 0% OverScan AV Mode (Picture & Sound Basic) 7 Modes (Intelligent Sensor/Vivid/Standard/Cinema/ Game/Sports/ISF Expert 1/ISF...

Rope

That's what I was thinking...but I would expect a 1080i signal to fill a 1080p set fully and not have the black bars at the top and bottom...?

OK, so found the menu screen/options to expand the picture (a-la a computer monitor) vertically so that the picture fills the available space. Which is good...what is now bad is the info banner from the Comcast cable box, when open, is being cutoff at the bottom of the screen (the channel/time/date/show info/etc).

Ahhh, Komkrap. Now we're speaking my language. Sorry I missed that on the first go-round.

With the Comcast (Komkrap remote), locate the red menu button and power button. Push the power button, and immediately push the red menu button...be patient as it takes a few seconds for the menu to come up. Menu is white back ground with black text. The first option is letterbox/16:9. Next option is resolution, 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i. To escape from the menu, push the red menu button.

Rope

Been a while, but if you are interested in the resolve...

Apparently there is a setting on the display that sets the resolution the SD instead of HD.
And the menu item was not directly in the Video portion of the menu tree.
Which seems like a bad idea.

I'm guessing if I was actually at my friends house I would have found it. He is technically challenged. He had a tech come over
and they saw the issue immediately.

Back