• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Lightning Strike and Marantz SR7007

Randy

Superstar
Had a nasty lightning strike last Saturday night.
It appears to have killed video through HDMI. Fortunately I have a spare everything and swapped it for my Marantz AV7005 Pre/Pro.
A buddy of mine is taking it to the service center in St Louis.
We shall see.

Lightning strikes are strange. My house has been hit twice since I moved in back in 1999. Literally every device in any form of a surge protector was preserved perfectly - no issues whatsoever. That is, unless the device was also connected to something else via another wire, like telephone wires, ethernet, or cable. Then they failed - either completely or some feature stopped working. It was strange to be troubleshooting everything after those strikes.

Good luck! I am glad it wasn't worse.

Monster surge protection worked, half rhe breakers tripped, garage door opener FRIED.
Along with a couple other issues.

Monster surge protection worked, half rhe breakers tripped, garage door opener FRIED.
Along with a couple other issues.
Whee. Hope it’s not too bad.

Whee. Hope it’s not too bad.
I called insurance and they reccomended I get everything repaired and see what tally is.
Receiver and garage door opener are gonna cost me and everything else I did with help a buddy.

I don't see turning in a claim now.
Charters shit is still screwed up.

I called insurance and they reccomended I get everything repaired and see what tally is.
Receiver and garage door opener are gonna cost me and everything else I did with help a buddy.

I don't see turning in a claim now.
Charters shit is still screwed up.
Check things like the oven, security system, buttons on the refrigerator controller, every aspect of your HVAC, including the thermostat, and all the computer and networking stuff, etc. For years I would stumble on a device that was no longer working correctly, but it didn't affect me at the time, so I didn't think to check it when I was filing my insurance claim. Dumb things like the battery chargers for my cordless drills, and such.

Nest thermostat took a dump on me.
HVAC is still under warranty. Contractor replaced is with a standard thermostat.
I may replace the Nest at some point.

Happened to me a few years ago and my entire theater got fried. My own stupid fault as I had everything running through a monster surge protector EXCEPT I got lazy when we installed the roof antenna and I ran that straight through instead of adding one more cable.
Insurance was fantastic though as they replaced everything site unseen.
Only their thing we lost were our dusk till Dawn yard lights.

Lightning is part of living in the SE. We had a house surge protector many moons ago. A Tripplite Isobar puppy since the early 90's.

Lightning is part of living in the SE. We had a house surge protector many moons ago.
I had one of those "whole-house" surge protectors installed quite awhile ago too, the electrician said they were very popular in Florida.
I still have my audio/video running thru an APC, and my computer/recording equipment going thru another APC + UPS.
Two years ago I lost power for 3 days, due to a windshear event. The damn utility finally restored power, but my overhead power lines were still on the ground! Power fluctuated badly for a couple minutes, the "whole-house" preserved everything except my subwoofer's amp, it got fried (for the second time).
Also set my back yard on fire, but that's a previous post. :veryangry:

Back