• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

MasterBath Build: What happens when Flint repurposes blown JBL speakers

Wait where is Matt?

He should weight in on this sub in the crapper.

I generally get in and get out. I have no desire to listen to music ...

But what do I know, my ass makes all the bass notes I need to or want to hear in their lol!

Wait where is Matt?

He should weight in on this sub in the crapper.

I generally get in and get out. I have no desire to listen to music ...

But what do I know, my ass makes all the bass notes I need to or want to hear in their lol!

Okay, to be clear, my master bath has a separate lavatory. The sub will be in the larger space with the sinks, vanity, bath, and shower. The toilet has its own tiny room, and the master closet is attached. I listen to music or the radio while I shower, shave, bathe, and get dressed. That averages about 30 minutes to an hour per day (if you include shaving and serious teeth cleaning) a day. Then I take baths a few times a month where I could be in the bathroom for more than an hour. This room is one place I use the speakers often daily.

I was asked a few times, so here's the frequency response at 1M of the old JBL speaker (black) versus the new TB 3" speaker (red):

MasterBath_15.jpg

I normalized the curves at 1kHz, the JBL was more sensitive (made more sound with 1W input) and could ultimately play louder, but I won't need the extra loudness in my bathroom, especially after I install the subwoofer. The TB 3" is very smooth.

And... the sub enclosure is coming together nicely. I completed the assembly and sanding. Now I am sealing the MDF so I can paint it later.

MasterBath_16.jpg

And.. I am done and it sounds amazing!

MasterBath_17.jpg

MasterBath_18.jpg

MasterBath_19.jpg

I am using a simple design, simple construction techniques, and relatively affordable parts. All in, including paint, wood, amp, speakers, connectors, filling material, wire, etc. I have about $300 invested in this. Considering my previous long term system was a Logitech Squeezebox Boom that cost me over $250 on sale, this was a deal. The system sounds amazing. Clean, balanced, and louder than I'll ever need without being stupid. If I did it over again, I would likely go with a 8" subwoofer as the 10" is bigger than necessary. But, the difference in cost and cabinet size is relatively small to downgrade to the 8" version of this woofer, so I am happy with the 10".

Oh boy! I was nervous as hell as I was scrolling down to that last pic. I thought "uh oh...bathroom...mirror...I hope Flint's not naked".

Dodged a bullet there. *whew*

And.. I am done and it sounds amazing!

View attachment 8135

View attachment 8136

View attachment 8137

I am using a simple design, simple construction techniques, and relatively affordable parts. All in, including paint, wood, amp, speakers, connectors, filling material, wire, etc. I have about $300 invested in this. Considering my previous long term system was a Logitech Squeezebox Boom that cost me over $250 on sale, this was a deal. The system sounds amazing. Clean, balanced, and louder than I'll ever need without being stupid. If I did it over again, I would likely go with a 8" subwoofer as the 10" is bigger than necessary. But, the difference in cost and cabinet size is relatively small to downgrade to the 8" version of this woofer, so I am happy with the 10".
Catching up on this thread... wow that's looking really sharp!

Thanks guys...

Being a nerd speaker builder, I'd rather just build speakers I need rather than buy them. So, as opportunities arise where I could use a new speaker, I will be building them for that specific purpose going forward. These were bathroom speakers, so they are designed to look decent and sound more than adequate in the bathroom. I think I accomplished that.

Thanks guys...

Being a nerd speaker builder, I'd rather just build speakers I need rather than buy them. So, as opportunities arise where I could use a new speaker, I will be building them for that specific purpose going forward. These were bathroom speakers, so they are designed to look decent and sound more than adequate in the bathroom. I think I accomplished that.

Although, I am convinced I need to put a protective grill on the subwoofer for the random splash of water and such. So, I am contemplating affordable and effective options which might look nice.

Although, I am convinced I need to put a protective grill on the subwoofer for the random splash of water and such. So, I am contemplating affordable and effective options which might look nice.
They probably don't sell these in Texas, but I can send you one from Canada if you'd like.

063e04d30c09f016e5a1de614fb9c42e--trojan-magnum.jpg

Looks very good!! Quick question . Are you worried about moisture and MDF in a bathroom settnig? I take it shallacing the daylights out of them will prevent any moisture from penetrating the MDF?
Mike

Looks very good!! Quick question . Are you worried about moisture and MDF in a bathroom settnig? I take it shallacing the daylights out of them will prevent any moisture from penetrating the MDF?
Mike

I was worried. So, for these speakers, I used at least twice the shellac coats I'd normally use, even applying it on the inside. Then I let the shellac care more than I normally would before putting the top coat of enamel on.

But, keep in mind bathroom cabinets are often made of MDF, as well. Thus the fear of water absorption may be unjustified.

Back