• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

MY Axiom EP350 has gone quiet

mcad64

Light on back was flashing red. Had a faint odour of burnt platic. Emailed Axiom, sent photos of back so they could get correct replacement model. Said most likely amp is toast. Will remove and send in for new replacement. Out of warranty. Will cost 290 CAD. Can't get a new sub for that and I have been happy with this one up until about a week ago when it gave up the ghost. Hopefully I don't electrocute myself taking it out!!!
Mike
PS: Comes with a 5 year warranty on new amp.

Unfortunately nobody at the factory today. Will ship Monday and hopefully be here by end of week. Was easy enough, even for me ,to take out!!! Plus , the price she had quoted me was the US price but she is giving me the same price in CAD. Woohoo!!!

Roughly 10 years.
The question I always ask myself, what is the chance of something else going bad and what would the cost of that repair be? I only know if I like the sound of a speaker, sub, I Know Nothing about how they work, or why they work, all I understand is the sound and the costs. I also know (according to me) that the more money a speaker costs doesn’t necessarily equate to the better product, sound.

So 10 years later you could not get a speaker equal to or better than what you have for $1,000 or less and have all new everything?

You are much more knowledgeable than I am on this subject. I am not trying to start an argument, I am trying to understand.

The question I always ask myself, what is the chance of something else going bad and what would the cost of that repair be? I only know if I like the sound of a speaker, sub, I Know Nothing about how they work, or why they work, all I understand is the sound and the costs. I also know (according to me) that the more money a speaker costs doesn’t necessarily equate to the better product, sound.

So 10 years later you could not get a speaker equal to or better than what you have for $1,000 or less and have all new everything?
Probably not. I highly doubt there is anything wrong with the the actual speaker cone itself. I think the amplifier just gave up the ghost. For $300CAD it's worth it to me to try. I'm in Canada ...everything cost more here...and we have less choices!!
You are much more knowledgeable than I am on this subject. I am not trying to start an argument, I am trying to understand.

Good to here you will be up and running again. Pretty much if the spider is in tack and you don't here any rubbing when you cycle the sub your Good to go!

Update:
Emailed Axiom because I was getting antsy. Got this reply:

I apologize for the delay. We have had to cut a plate for your amplifier. It's not one that we keep in stock. It should be out of paint tomorrow and then the build. My guess is that it will ship to you very early next week.

That was from July 21. Fingers crossed it comes this coming week.

Got a message today saying amped has shipped and will be here by tomorrow! Yay!! Funny thing. I looked on the Fedex website and the shipping weight is listed as 8lbs. The one I pulled out was 14.5 lbs. I thought heavier was better as in better transformer and better power reserves? Could it be the difference between a class AB and a class D?

One small fly in the ointment. New amp has no auto on/off like the last one. However it does have a 12 v trigger. Problem being the Sony Strdn1080 does not have a 12 volt trigger. When I bought the Sony I didn't really worry about there being a 12V trigger cuz I thought " Hey, my sub has an auto on/off"! Poop

Just leave it on…
Yeah, that's what the president of the company told me too!!

Hi Mike,
Those auto sense circuits don't really do anything with the new high efficiency Class D amplifiers as the power supply needs to stay on to sense the wake up signal. If your receiver has a trigger output you can use that to turn the subwoofer on and off with your receiver. Otherwise it is no problem to just leave it on all the time.
Thanks
Ian

Best Regards,
Ian Colquhoun
Support team,
Axiom Audio

I was thinking in regards to response time, did you have to adjust any gain settings, any difference in its integration with the rest of the speakers, stuff like that...

Back