• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My basement is down to the studs...what do I add?

The DirtMerchant

Famous
Situation...my basement flooded. Everything is out down to the studs.
Floors, walls and drop ceiling all being replaced.
Caveat: I going to spend almost all of my budget to get it "back to what it was", so no big projects like adding an angled wall or double insulation and double sheetrock soundproofing.
More along the lines of "maybe some 2in PVC for easy line pulls that run to my projector" or...extra outlets by the speakers.

What small things you have in your basement or HT really made a lot of sense and were inexpensive.

At the moment I'm either putting in the 2x2 drop ceiling led panel lights or 10-15 recessed lights...
and a outlets by my speaker locations (my HT is going back where it was).

Sorry to hear about the flood damage, yikes!
The 2" PVC is a great idea, I sure wish I knew of that option when my system was installed 13 years ago. I would also use the PVC to overhead speaker/ATMOS locations, even if you don't currently have that kind of setup.

No one has ever wished they had fewer outlets. Same goes for network cabling. If you install conduits place a couple of pull-strings while you're at it.

Consider hanging 3/4" plywood behind the drywall where a TV or screen may be mounted.

This would be a great time to add an outlet in the ceiling for future projector use. Ceilings are a great spot for WiFi access points too.
Yup. I have 3 outlets across the front wall where the displays are going already.
I'm adding 3 in the "back" in the ceiling or on posts, 1 for each speaker location and 1 for the projector area.
I'm going to run a 2" PVC conduit from the projector area up to the display area.

Should I place conduit running from the receiver/display area to near the rear speakers?

If pulling them through a pre-stalled conduit would be dramatically easier than not .. then why not?

Running wires horizontally in a drop ceiling is usually pretty easy and wouldn't justify the expense of conduit. But if the wall cavities are insulated or crowded or obstructed then conduits can be super useful for the vertical runs from the rack to the ceiling cavity, or from the speaker to the ceiling.

I think I'll be changing to 1 1/2" PVC as it is noticeably cheaper (enough to get 3 RCA speaker cables and a HDMI through...right?)
I'll be running it across the front wall to/from receiver location, front speaker (L, Center, Right, Sub)
Up from the main conduit to the display location mid high on the wall
and Up from the Receiver location to above the drop ceiling.
All the above I expect to have the tubing connected and add 1 or 2 pull strings

Then from the top of the receiver location above the drop ceiling, 14ft, 15 ft and 20 ft runs in the ceiling to the L/R rears and the Projector in the middle.

Yeah inch and a half is plenty big enough if you run one line at a time. It's also a much smaller hole to cut into all of the studs/top plate.

Regarding pull stings. Leave a lot of slack on each side and be careful to avoid twisting them around each other. It's a good idea to tie the ends to something rigid so that you don't accidentally pull the free end into the conduit. Also, if you use a pull string to pull a cable through, attach a new one sting to the cable you're pulling so that you're replacing the pull string at the same time.

Yeah inch and a half is plenty big enough if you run one line at a time. It's also a much smaller hole to cut into all of the studs/top plate.

Regarding pull stings. Leave a lot of slack on each side and be careful to avoid twisting them around each other. It's a good idea to tie the ends to something rigid so that you don't accidentally pull the free end into the conduit. Also, if you use a pull string to pull a cable through, attach a new one sting to the cable you're pulling so that you're replacing the pull string at the same time.
no idea how i'm going to keep them from getting tangled in the tubes. There's a section where I'll have 3 of them...
hmmm...i think i'll have to, instead of having 1 string to each box location, I'll put one to the furthest spot only...then add wires along the way when I pull back to the "start".

what do I use to anchor the pullstrings while not in use? I'm afraid they'll back in and be useless.
A nail outside?
"don't worry, they won't move"?
corner of the box?
onto the screw holding the faceplate on?

what do I use to anchor the pullstrings while not in use? I'm afraid they'll back in and be useless.
A nail outside?
"don't worry, they won't move"?
corner of the box?
onto the screw holding the faceplate on?
Probably have a 1-1.5’ rolled up at each end inside the box?

Back