• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My evaluation track list

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
These are the tracks I'm using in my current listening tests, along with a brief description of why I chose it and what I listen for in each one. I'm putting this in a separate thread because I'll probably refer to it in other threads as I audition all the new headphone gear in coming days.

Note that while my current DAC is capable of 24bit/96kHz resolution (and the DA8 coming can go even higher), I'm using regular CD-rez tracks - 16/44.1 - because that's what I listen to 99.99% of the time. My source for all of this is the squeezebox via optical/toslink connection to the DAC.

1) Painter Song, from Norah Jones, Come Away With Me

Amazing vocal presence, a lot like that classic Keb Mo track we all know. But this one has more instrumentation along with it.

2) Bare Bones, from Bob James, Grand Piano Canyon

Terrific SQ. Very tight bass. Good mix of instruments - piano, trumpets, etc. Lots of stuff going on.

3) Vallee d'Obermann, from Arcadi Volodos, Volodos Plays Liszt

IMHO the best technical piano recording I own. And some of the finest musicianship as well. Especially good recording of the bass end of the piano, which often lacks somewhat - either because of the recording technique and/or the voicing and abilities of the piano itself. In this recording, you can really hear the room, which seems to be a smaller recital room, rather than a really large concert hall. You can hear the resonance of the sound, and some saturation of the acoustics when the piano is going loud and full - and Volodos has POWER when he wants, and uses a lot of pedal in some places, such that there's a tremendous amount of sound.

4) Something's Got a Hold On Me, from Beth Hart + Joe Bonamassa, Don't Explain

Great vocals and bass line - Carmine Rojas (bass) is simply amazing. Also quite a lot of instrumentation - couple guitars, keyboard, etc. Lots of energy.

5) Come Together, from Brian Bromberg, Wood

Acoustic/string bass (only), with a lot of slap/pluck/slide/whatever percussive sounds that Brian does with his hands in addition to playing the notes. Very up-close recording, you're right there next to the bass, lots of echo in the instrument itself.

6) Hanuman, from Rodrigo y Gabriela, Area 52

Fast-paced music, with a LOT going on, this is a ~10 person Cuban band with trumpets and other stuff besides R&G's guitars. Rodrigo plays electric guitar in the style of Santana. A lot of layering of sounds here.

7) Partita #3 first mvmt, from Hilary Hahn, Bach Violin Partitas & Sonata

Solo violin. The tone of the violin is important, that it not be too bright/shrill. You can hear occasional physical instrument sounds like fingers sliding, bowing, occasional ring of a secondary string. I have discovered, though, that this recording suffers from some slight little distortion sound in the right channel - it's consistent across all the gear I've listened to (including speakers), so it's definitely the recording. Some gear is more revealing of this than others.

8) Priidite Poklonimsya, from Robert Shaw, Rachmaninoff's Vespers

Very large a capella chorus. Big choir, big dynamics. The key here is whether you can get some sense of individual singers spread across the stage, as opposed to just one big sound.

9) Athens to Athens, from Joe Bonamassa, An Acoustic Evening at The Vienna Opera House

Great live recording. This song is just FUN - a lot of energy, they're really getting into it. Some audience sounds. Good stereo spread, and mix of acoustic instruments and percussion.

10+11) Dances of the Young Girls + Ritual of Abduction, from Simon Rattle & Berlin Philharmonic, Stravinsky's Le Sacre Du Printemps

Huge orchestral work, vast number of different instruments spread across the stage. Very aggressive and dynamic music with lots of low bass and bass drums.

12) Common Man, from Black Country Communion, Afterglow

Amazing musical energy in this song. Good SQ, especially the drums - and Bonham uses a lot of open toms rather than snares, which I like. Somewhat darker tone overall.

13) My Man's Gone Now, from Shirley Horn, I Remember Miles

Slow, serious, dark jazz. I like this one in particular because of the drums. There are two complete drum sets going here, left and right, along with two basses, trumpet, and of course Shirley's vocals and piano. There's a lot going on, but again the drum sounds are very much in the jazz style with a lot of little things happening - high hat ticks, brush strokes, etc.

14) Bach Toccata & Fugue in D Minor, from Virgil Fox, The Digital Fox

Pipe organ, the usual piece that everyone knows. Big big organ, lots of variations in tone. Obviously, low bass notes. The trick with this is both bass extension, and the ability to hear the high notes clearly even when there's a lot of bass at the same time. Some sense of room acoustics in this recording, and stereo isolation of different sets of pipes.

15) So We Meet Again My Heartache, from Melody Gardot, The Absence

Great song, musically. Very intimate recording of Melody's voice - she's got a wonderful sultry voice but it's not powerful, so she's always very close-mic'ed. Lots of interesting little things in this mix, percussion, a couple of guitars, acoustic instruments, and even a string orchestra.

Thank you Pauly, I like these kinds of lists. Just ordered the Bob James disk on your recommendation. :text-thankyoublue:

Amazon has had an odd effect on old, out-of-print CDs. In the old days, I'd hit record shop after record shop, and find these gems hidden away and grab them for $1.50 or so. Now, I can find just about anything I might look for, but pay thru the nose for it (just ordered a 5.1 disk of Fleetwood Mac, too).

^--- yes, sorry, just noticed that. Fixed.

Botch said:
Thank you Pauly, I like these kinds of lists. Just ordered the Bob James disk on your recommendation. :text-thankyoublue:

Amazon has had an odd effect on old, out-of-print CDs. In the old days, I'd hit record shop after record shop, and find these gems hidden away and grab them for $1.50 or so. Now, I can find just about anything I might look for, but pay thru the nose for it (just ordered a 5.1 disk of Fleetwood Mac, too).
Agreed - for some titles. But I'm amazed at the number of times that I'll go looking for a specific CD and find it used, in great condition, for $0.99 or even $0.01. Granted shipping is $3.99 per disc but it's still a great bargain. I had a couple dozen shipped to Bat's place for the GTG.

Of course "discovering" Bat's boxed-away CD collection (a veritable goldmine - he has amazingly similar tastes to me) at the GTG and being able to "flint" several dozen of them was terrific.

And I've mentioned it before, but if your library system is anything close to what mine is, check it out. Tens of thousands of titles and every new release imaginable. Plus I get to suggest" up to 5 titles per month for acquisition, and it's rare that they don't buy at least 4 of them. No need to suggest anything mainstream (in any genre) since they'll get those regardless, but hear of a band through the AA that you would not hear of otherwise, and they'll get it in.

While I can get books via interlibrary loan, unfortunately not so for CDs. However last Xmas I was able to find a very rare copy of a certain CD, of which the Toronto library had one copy. My friend's son goes to school in Toronto and I had him borrow it and bring it to me when he was home on break.

As to the OP, that's a great list Pauly. However it is missing Sk8er Boi. :)

On a more serious note (pardon the pun) I suggest Claire Martin's version of Black Coffee. I have it on Linn Selektions' "The Super Audio Surround Volume." A stunningly sultry version with great bass, piano, some horn, minimal drums, guitar and organ. It's available on her complete album "Too Darn Hot!"

JeffMackwood said:
As to the OP, that's a great list Pauly. However it is missing Sk8er Boi. :)
One needs the D7000s to fully appreciate that track. :eusa-whistle:

Added a Melody Gardot song. Even thinking of putting this album in the stellar recordings thread... we'll see after I give the whole album another careful listen.

You should throw some other stuff in there as well, even if you don't like the music at all but strictly for demo material. I'm sure other folks here would have some input. I will start with this one..

Testament. The Gathering

This cd sounds incredible, clear, dynamic, layerd and a WIDE soundstage.

Ok thanks, I'll look into that - always looking for new good SQ material. But a big part of the selection process is having music I can listen to over and over without starting to hate the material... ;) I've already gone through this list at least 6-8 times, and I haven't even gotten to the new headphones yet.

When I evaluate, I listen to entire tracks, not just snippets; it takes more than a few seconds here and there to really absorb any differences in gear, but it does make it a bit of a slow process. Usually though, I have a general opinion within the first 4-5 tracks, and the rest mainly serve to solidify that. But each track I use has at least one or two "special" spots that show me something.

Back