• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

My sucketh may continueth - portable amp recommendations?

bmwuk

Well, it seems that the wife had plans to buy a gift for me for The Three Wisemen day in January. When she asked what I wanted, I mentioned a nicer headphone amp.

I have a budget of about $300, any thoughts? I was looking at the Arrow headphone amps. First, are they still being made and secondly are there others you would recommend? Thanks.

Re: My sucketh may continueth - portable amp recommendations

Rope, what's the story on them? Hear the wait time is in months. Is this true? Also i hear getting any answers on the status is bad. Thoughts?

bmwuk -

I can't comment, since I've had zero experience with Headstage Arrow products. However, there is numerous threads at Head-Fi praising their products and service.

Another option would be Practical Devices. You might find a used XM6 at Head-fi (I did) or new XM5/XM4.

:text-link:
Practical Devices

Rope

I'm actually looking at the Leckerton Audio now. Out of Austin. Ant thoughts on the 4 or 6 models?

Okay, update. I really like what I'm reading about the Leckerton audio amps. The issue with using IEMs I've discovered is that they obviously don't require much power due to their sensitivity. Therefore using a line out from my iPod, which is really loud, requires me to run an amp really low in volume. What that means is that most amps at such a low volume on theknob is that i get an imbalance in my headphones. That sucks.

So either need an amp with low gain setting or one that doesn't give me imbalance or both. Hence the UHA-4 by Leckerton Audio. What sucks is they are out. I like their UHA-6 MKII but i may run into the same issue as before.

On a side note, icontacted Gary A. From electric avenues and he is glad to swap out some parts to drop the gain on my amp...for free! Are you kidding me?!I bought this amp back 6 years ago.Gary rules! I wish he made more amps and I'd buy them. The guy truly is amazing

bmwuk said:
Okay, update. I really like what I'm reading about the Leckerton audio amps. The issue with using IEMs I've discovered is that they obviously don't require much power due to their sensitivity. Therefore using a line out from my iPod, which is really loud, requires me to run an amp really low in volume. What that means is that most amps at such a low volume on theknob is that i get an imbalance in my headphones. That sucks.

So either need an amp with low gain setting or one that doesn't give me imbalance or both. Hence the UHA-4 by Leckerton Audio. What sucks is they are out. I like their UHA-6 MKII but i may run into the same issue as before.

On a side note, icontacted Gary A. From electric avenues and he is glad to swap out some parts to drop the gain on my amp...for free! Are you kidding me?!I bought this amp back 6 years ago.Gary rules! I wish he made more amps and I'd buy them. The guy truly is amazing

To compensate for the volume imbalance you describe, some portable amp manufacturers offer a 75-Ohm setting for low impedance IEMs, which allows the user a higher amp volume setting without causing a volume balance issue.

Rope

Rope said:
bmwuk said:

To compensate for the volume imbalance you describe, some portable amp manufacturers offer a 75-Ohm setting for low impedance IEMs, which allows the user a higher amp volume setting without causing a volume balance issue.

Rope

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Etymotic-Headph ... 0732730536

I use the 75 Ohm switch on my XM5 for my Etymotic ER4P because I prefer the sound of the ER4S slightly better ( two IEMs in one). I don't like what it does(the +75 Ohm) to my Westone 3 or Ortofon e-Q7( for those I use a Meier Corda XXS). IMO it's best to have an amp with a low gain setting to allow the pot to reach half way or better.

I can't use my XM5 with my W3 or e-Q7 because the gain is too high even without the high gain activated but works great for the ER4P,plus 75 Ohms. I have my XM5 beefed up for full size. It does a fine job driving my 600 Ohm Beyer T1.

Gary rocks :music-rockout:

Back