• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Need a TV

As I have stated.....some retention issues. You say they "took care of that problem a couple years ago"....are you talking about "burn-in" ?
You can buy a plasma & no longer worry about retention ? No need to worry about the first 100 hrs ?
We do agree that any display needs the user controls adjusted or calibrated.
Also, the off-axis viewing on LCD's have improved alot, but there still is "an issue with viewing LCD's off axis" but not as much as it used to be & retention on plasma is a possible issue, do you agree ?

Barney said:
As I have stated.....some retention issues. You say they "took care of that problem a couple years ago"....are you talking about "burn-in" ?
You can buy a plasma & no longer worry about retention ? No need to worry about the first 100 hrs ?
We do agree that any display needs the user controls adjusted or calibrated.
Also, the off-axis viewing on LCD's have improved alot, but there still is "an issue with viewing LCD's off axis" but not as much as it used to be & retention on plasma is a possible issue, do you agree ?
I know the difference between burn in and retention and there is no retention on my latest Samsung which I have had for several years.

So yes you can buy a plasma and not have to worry about burn in or retention. And I did nothing special the first hundred hours, just watched normally.

Perhaps other brands have a problem but no one I know that has gotten a plasma recently (different brands) has had any retention issues.

Things do change Barn and sometimes they even change for the better.

Two kinds of image retention, temporary and permanent, the latter being unwanted.

All plasma displays are very impressionable when new, and until the cell structure is trained in reproducing all colors and shades, it can retain a certain color or shade. If one were to view normal programming, no side or bottom black bars, or bright ticker tape for extended periods. There will be NO permanent image retention in the first 100 hours of use.

Rope

I've had my 42" 720p Samsung Plasma for about 5-6 years used daily for 4-5 hours and never have had an issue with burn in or retention. Plasmas don't worry about refresh rate like LCD do and never have had an issue with motion blur. In fact I was at Magnolia a few days back and was shocked at how much motion blur was on some (not all mind you) mid range LCD's while my plasma which can now be bought for 400.00 has none of those issues. I will say that those higher end LED's sure did look purdy though.

it seems in my price range I'll either have to deal with glare issues from a plasma or refresh issues from an lcd:(

AndySTL said:
I was at Costco last weekend and was shocked at how much TV you can get for $500-$800. I saw a very nice looking Panasonic 1080p 50" plasma for $599. If you live near a Costco, it's worth a stroll through the electronics department.
Costco also doubles the manufacturer warranty, BUT, you can't use a cc, cash only.

I would also go with plasma as a first choice.

Most CC usually have a double the warranty period also, but that is in the fine print, if you call them they will tell you.

Our 59" plasma is in our Den that has a wall of windows and as long as it is not a dark program or movie, there is not a reflection problem.....

:twocents-mytwocents:

Back