• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Need Headphone Suggestions for my Daughter's Birthday

Akula said:
CMonster said:
Srvy said:
Im no electronics wizard but to me cant the cords be spliced back?

When you buy a pair of headphones that dont have a detachable cord what is to stop you from putting in a inline plug to detach and re attach?

I tried that once. Once. :happy-smileygiantred:

Headphone cables are coax like RG-59 just on a much, much smaller scale. I found working with the small amount of braiding pretty much impossible.

Yeah, while quality home headphones have replaceable cords, that's a cumbersome thing to put on ones intended for use elsewhere... especially for things that are basically intended to be disposable (it's one thing to put that feature on $200 Sennheisers, another for $50 exercise earbuds). And as for splicing the things, that's going to be extraordinarily difficult on something that small.

I did not know this interesting.

You guys dont have a Chin Bue he is one of our electronic techs. He is our go to guy at work for everything electronic that we F up at work in the field. The guy can fix anything. His normal duties are building panel and installing them in Water plants and Hydro electric plants. He also assemble and builds the panel you see at river and creek road crossings. They monitor stream levels and where automated gates for road closure remotely lower and close the roads.

Anyway back to the thread I had my beloved Shure earbuds with a short in the wire. He tracked down the short spliced it back together shrink melted over the splice and they work good as new. All in a matter of an hour he was back with them working.

Everyone needs a Chin.

Flint said:
I think you are going about this all wrong.

I'd get her this:

http://www.amazon.com/Colorful-Earphone ... pd_sim_e_3

I've been buying Radio Shack IEMs for $25 and spending $5 on a warranty. They will replace them twice, even if damaged. When you get your second replacement, you can renew the warranty for $5 and get two more replacements. She has gone through a TON of them over the last couple years and the average price worked out to about $6 each. Sound quality is a lot better than crappy ear buds too. The thing is, it is a nuisance. She just wants something sturdy.

Part of the problem is that her cat steals them and chews up the cord, sometimes chomping it into pieces. She has learned to not leave them out, even on a desk. Unfortunately, she sometimes falls asleep with them on. She's also accident prone and catches the cord on stuff, breaking the plug or shorting the cord. I think wireless solves all of those problems.

Back