• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

New headphones for home and work.

Another consideration for the masses out there, If my measurements are good than it is possible to now set up a Behringer DSP1124 to correct the output to flat or create a room curve for the individual. With the use of the DSP processor the headphones and in room speakers can matched with out considering the acoustics or Surround.

Unfortunately, this method does not produce a measurement which accurately depicts what you hear. It is a very good method for creating comparisons between similar sized headphones, but the complex acoustical properties of the outer and inner ear must be replicated to get a measurement close to what we hear. In fact, it can be extremely difficult to get a measurement which comes close to replicating what we hear.

Thanks for the look and thoughts Flint. If the headphones are able to be measured to a response similiar to what our mic would measure in a room than would we only find the lack of the room accoustics from clouding our imaging. For headphones it is still different on imaging because the image will be between the ears and not out in front of you. The balance from low to high would be the comparison of interest. One of the other weak points for the headphones is the lack of the shaking the pants leg from using your infinit baffle subs.

Because my question was open to compare with SV charts on the headphones and the sharp drop above 10k for all of the headphones would we be led to believe that they were modeling the ear as you were stating.

Why model the ear for the sound output of the headphones and not for speaker measurements.

The difference between a headphone and a speaker is that a speaker reproduces an acoustical event in a spaceband there are propogation effects which cause the sound pressure to be similar to a real sound source while a headphone pressurizes the sound at the ear with little or no propagation effects. For instance, high treble inherently dissipates as it passes through the air. With headphones you don't get that effect. Similarly, bass notes in real life and from a speaker can vibrate your jaw and head cavity thus enhancing their audibility, another effect which cannot be replicated with a headphone.

Basically, they are simply two different things.

Yeah, and if you look at published response charts for headphones, they look nothing like what we'd call "good" for speakers, to the point where I find it hard to interpret them.

Back