• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Nice Read about Streaming vs. Blu-ray

Rope said:
Rope <-------------------------------Blu-ray Snob/Whore

You have company buddy + 1!

I like certain things that I deam not that important streamed i.e. chick flicks, tv shows, comedy's, movies on the fence about and old movies from 80's below. Far as the newer releases that are a must have title then BD all the way, nothing beats physical disc (PQ/SQ) from a purist stand point, last since I own the disc so the vendor can't charge me everytime I want to view it.

Flint said:
I hope you guys realize I am using Hyperbole to make a point.

I live my life somewhere in between the extreme I speak of and the extreme I hear from you and my other peers. Striving for perfection is a core characteristic of my existence. Once one starts accepting mediocrity part of his soul whithers and falls off. Before long that person will fail to care about this stuff altogether. I fear that in our community. I fear it to the core of my soul.

Hyper what?? And what falls off? :scared-eek:

Flint said:
Why doesn't anyone focus on anything anymore? No wonder excellence is growing so rare that we are shocked when we see it these days.

Dude, there's plenty of source material worth watching where the image and sound quality is less than great. I'm sorry, but Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a crappy looking movie regardless of the format. I'm certainly not going to obsess over getting the absolutely most ideal presentation of that dim, muddy film. I bought Ghost Busters on Blu-Ray. It looks terrible and looks only marginally better than the same movie streamed off Netflix. Again, why get wound up about it?

I have over 900 movies on DVD. I might replace 10% of them with Blu-Ray discs. The difference in picture quality is either insignificant or not important for the rest of my library. The movies that benefit most from the higher resolution are mostly newer movies or older movies that have had major re-mastering work put into them. The content matters too. I'm sorry, but I just don't care if my copy of Balls of Fury has every nuance of perfection. It is just not that kind of movie.

Music can serve as the masterpiece one studies closely in the gallery or it can be the wallpaper that adds color to the room. Both purposes are legitimate.

mzpro5 said:
For newer movies I'll always go with the BD.

But as with others streaming is great for a lot of material. I've been watching some documentaries via streaming and I don't think a BD would really enhance the value for me. Same with episodes of TV shows. They look darn good and and provide the entertainment value I'm looking for. Same with the animated "super hero" films they have on Netflix streaming.

I watched a documentary on marijuana last night, but of course, that really is the best way to watch a documentary! :eek:bscene-smokingweed:
Rob

I consider the content before considering how it should be viewed or listened to. It's like the owner of a Macco I talked to, he said "if you bring me a pos, you get back a shiny pos". You get what you pay for in other words, so why waste the extra money on lower quality content. Not everything is timeless art, doesn't mean it's not entertaining.

Haywood said:
Music can serve as the masterpiece one studies closely in the gallery or it can be the wallpaper that adds color to the room. Both purposes are legitimate.
WOW! Profound! And very well said! Gets my vote for post of the year!

:text-bravo:
:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

Zing said:
Haywood said:
WOW! Profound! And very well said! Gets my vote for post of the year!

:text-bravo:
:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

Whoa hold on there buddy, the yr is still young although Haywood did make a great post! So let's put his post at the top of the list and then take a vote at the end of 2011, I'm sure there will be some good ones by Dec.

Flint is counting the days till "Jersey Shore" hits bluray so he can see Snooki in all her HD glory

Seriously I dont mind streaming some shows and prefer to watch first run shows in HD

Back