• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Onkyo LFE X-Over

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
At the GTG, Tee made a recommendation for me to set my X-Over freq's to 60 Hz from 80 Hz.

So, today I get home from work and told Barb that I am going into the HT to make these changes.

I was able to adjust all speakers except for the LFE. There is an adjustment that shows an up and down arrow, however the AVR will not let me adjust the LFE Below 80 Hz, above, no problem, however it will not go below 80 Hz.

I thought that maybe there was a THX Setting on somewhere that is limiting this adjustment, however I check and none of them were engaged.

Help is needed to figure this out.

It is a NR 708 AVR.

Thanks!

T7,

Thanks for the call and the clear, precise explanation that the LFE Channel is a dedicated channel and independent of the X-Over freq's of the other speakers.

I totally understand it..........

Thanks again!

heeman

For the sake of anyone else that may care...

In a 5.1 or 7.1 the subwoofer handles two separate types of signals. Any bass that is below the ability of your main speakers is sent to the subwoofer by the crossover. So if you set the main crossover to 60Hz any signal below that point going to the speakers will go to the sub instead.

The LFE (Low Frequency Effects) channel is a separate and discreet channel used only for low bass in movies. LFE is the ".1" in 5.1 or 7.1. The LFE channel is also sent to the subwoofer. That LFE signal is only bass (for explosions and such) and is in addition to the bass signals re-directed to the sub by the main crossover. The LFE crossover lets you dictate how high a signal is sent to the sub.

The THX specification dictates that the LFE channel can be no lower than 80Hz.

Back