• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Oppo issue

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
The Man In The Brown Shorts™ brought me King Crimson's Beat, remastered as a 5.1 DVD-A by Mr. Steven Wilson, yay!
Unfortunately, neither disk would play. The CD shows "No Disk" on the front of the Oppo, the DVD shows "Home Menu", but the TV's Oppo screen shows "No Disk". I tried the bluray I played last night, also got "Home Menu/No Disk" so it's probably an Oppo issue.
Recycling power didn't do anything. Any ideas?

Recycling power didn't do anything. Any ideas?
Did you unplug the power cord for at least 30 seconds or did you simply power off and back on again? If you only tried the latter, try the former and I'll bet you'll be golden.

Any update?

My Sony Blu-ray players sometimes need the full "Zing" treatment to overcome similar issues (with discs, USB sticks, streaming, etc.)

Jeff

Didn't you have to send your Oppo player for repair not too long ago? Or was that someone else?

The full power-down didn't work. No disc type (CD, DVD, Bluray) works. I did notice "HDMI/MHL Input" scrolled across the unit's screen a couple times, I went through the manual this morning and hitting the "Input" knob on the remote shows "Blu Ray Player", as it should. I've sent an email to their Service email box, hopefully have some info Monday after work.

Tom, I did have to send my BDP-83 in for cleaning, but ended up getting a BDP-103 also (two models newer); I sold the -83 to Mudshark.

Wow!

At 5:37 pm, on a Saturday night, I get a reply to my email to "service@oppodigital.com", sent earlier today!
I'm to remove the top cover, clean the laser lens with a Q-tip/rubbing alcohol, and reassemble. Same issue I had with my -83, but admittedly I run the shit out of my disk player. Project for tomorrow morning.

I have an older Memorex "lens cleaning" CD than I have used on all of my disc drives (CD, laserdisc, DVD, computers, Blu-ray, probably others if they exist) once every year or so and it does a great job. It's basically got a little soft set of brush bristles glued to one section of the disc. Insert, play, eject, all done in 20 seconds or so. You can actually see the stuff it removes accumulate on and around the brush (which you then gently clean as well.)

Not sure how it compares to the alcohol swap method in terms of cleaning efficiency - but seems faster and less prone to screw-ups. I guess the proof is that its been working for me for a long long time.

Jeff

ps. Here's the modern day equivalent.

https://www.amazon.com/Memorex-DVD-...0193&sr=8-1&keywords=memorex+lens+cleaning+cd

Ah ... sorry for confusing you two.
No problem, I'm still trying to grok the part where they told Botch to clean the lens. That's almost like DirecTv in the early days when you mounted your own dish.

Back