• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Parasound Halo P5

Not to upset the bro-fest that you two young dudes are locked into, but...

While I could probably look it up, can you tell me what sort of frequency range capability etc. will be needed to support the Atmos (or other such beasts) channels?

In the somewhat distant future, I might envision myself upgrading my Onkyo 886 with something with such capability (or whatever will then be current). I have plenty of spare stereo power amps kicking around so that part's covered; and I have a few pairs of Realistic Minimus 7, or equivalent, speakers available as well. Those speakers do surround duty in my family room HT, and background listening duty in my living/dining room (in concert with a sub), and given their size, and black colour, would fit perfectly into my main HT at many points on the ceiling, or any wall. I'm assuming they'd work well with Atmos - on the assumption that they need reproduce only a limited palette of sound, and would never need to be full range a la surround channels while supporting a well-mixed 5.1 SACD - for example.

After responding you may resume hugging.

Jeff

JeffMackwood said:

While I could probably look it up, can you tell me what sort of frequency range capability etc. will be needed to support the Atmos (or other such beasts) channels?

In the somewhat distant future, I might envision myself upgrading my Onkyo 886 with something with such capability (or whatever will then be current). I have plenty of spare stereo power amps kicking around so that part's covered; and I have a few pairs of Realistic Minimus 7, or equivalent, speakers available as well. Those speakers do surround duty in my family room HT, and background listening duty in my living/dining room (in concert with a sub), and given their size, and black colour, would fit perfectly into my main HT at many points on the ceiling, or any wall. I'm assuming they'd work well with Atmos - on the assumption that they need reproduce only a limited palette of sound, and would never need to be full range a la surround channels while supporting a well-mixed 5.1 SACD - for example.

Jeff

C'mon, Jeff... you know as well as I do that for the best performance and the most immersive experience you'll have to use identically matching speakers all around the room of a fully realized ATMOS system. I know you have more than enough of those Koss speakers to pull it off in your room, though you may need to crawl to the only seat that fits in there to listen to it.

Zing said:
:laughing-rolling: I think I peed a little.

You might be over 50 if...

Just to be clear, I'm not busting spheres because you may have peed at Tom's joke. I'm busting them because you're not sure if you peed.

John

Flint said:
JeffMackwood said:

Jeff

C'mon, Jeff... you know as well as I do that for the best performance and the most immersive experience you'll have to use identically matching speakers all around the room of a fully realized ATMOS system. I know you have more than enough of those Koss speakers to pull it off in your room, though you may need to crawl to the only seat that fits in there to listen to it.
It's a good thing my son just earned his welding ticket 'cause it's gonna take some kind of structure to pin these suckers to the ceiling! :)

Then again, here's a pic from 2004 of my old HT set up, when I had to suspend a pair of CM/1020s above a Toshiba 40" RP HDTV.

Jeff

Attachments

• Left front of HT (Medium).JPG
    Left front of HT (Medium).JPG
    168 KB · Views: 366
Yeah, you definitely need more of those speakers installed in your rig, Matt... er... I mean, Jeff.

JeffMackwood said:
Then again, here's a pic from 2004 of my old HT set up, when I had to suspend a pair of CM/1020s above a Toshiba 40" RP HDTV.

Jeff

Wow, Jeff! I thought Zing's Infinity SM-12's were big, from so many years ago. Luv the Charlie Chaplin and Marilyn Monroe pics!

Babs said:
JeffMackwood said:

Jeff

Wow, Jeff! I thought Zing's Infinity SM-12's were big, from so many years ago. Luv the Charlie Chaplin and Marilyn Monroe pics!
That's Bogart hiding behind the left stack as well!

That's the one thing I miss about my old HT set up. I had a ton of B&W movie posters all over the walls. In the new setup there's none; they've all been replaced by black acoustic panels. :cry:

Jeff

ps. Yes, it some cases size does matter!

I love the lamps on the subs............they need to be the same though to keep symmetry in the room.

Crazy set-up Mr. Mackwood, but I guess that is to be expected.

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

heeman said:
I love the lamps on the subs............they need to be the same though to keep symmetry in the room.

Crazy set-up Mr. Mackwood, but I guess that is to be expected.

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:
Look really closely and you can see that underneath each of those lamps there was a homemade vibration dampener. I used alternating layers of thin rubber and granite - the same design (only smaller) that I currently use under my turntable. It actually helped to extend the (shortened) life of the sub-sitting lamps' bulbs!

By the by, from the posted pic you can see one (of a few) of the reasons why I eventually went to a projection / acoustically-transparent screen set-up: so that I could set up a stacked pair of Koss CM/1030 speakers behind the screen, rather than the horizontally-suspended pair of CM/1020s, as pictured.

Jeff

Botch said:
Is your "tv stand" an old DLP, turned around?
"Was" not "is".

The rear projection set was a three lens CRT projector. They were housed in the bottom of the unit and projected off internal mirrors to the screen. I had it ISF calibrated and the 1080i picture was superb. Paid something like $3500 for it and sold it to a friend for $500 - only because he wouldn't accept a gift. I think it's still going strong.

At the very bottom of the unit I added the matching stand - which is the part with the glass door on the front. That brought it up to a good height, and gave me some additional "rack" space. Although by the end of that layout I had moved all the additional gear off to the side and onto the same IKEA stands that I'm using today. Basically just speaker and component video cables running to the front by then.

Jeff

Back