• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Parents Should 'Punch' Gay-Acting Children, Says Pastor Sean

Re: Parents Should 'Punch' Gay-Acting Children, Says Pastor

I don't think you can beat the stupid out of someone, but this guy makes me want to try.

^--- yeah, that.

And why is it that all the worst nutjobs seem to be baptist? Sigh... I'm a baptist myself, and am embarrassed by this in the name of baptists and all other Christians.

PaulyT said:
^--- yeah, that.

And why is it that all the worst nutjobs seem to be baptist? Sigh... I'm a baptist myself, and am embarrassed by this in the name of baptists and all other Christians.

I am a Baptist, and I attend a very conservative Baptist Church. This sort of speech would NOT be tolerated in my church nor would be tolerated in any of the 10 Baptist churches I've attended in my lifetime. Sorry, this is not a Baptist thing.

Keep in mind, Baptists are a self-governed denomination. Each church has its own constitution and chooses to be, or not be, part of some national group, like the Southern Baptist Convention, the Northern Baptists, or the Texas Baptist Convention. Don't ever assume that anyone calling themselves a Baptist is part of the norm. It isn't uncommon for Baptist churches to split and one large church become four different churches in a matter of years because of differences of faith, how to run a church, and so on. Free-will is at the very cornerstone of what most Baptist congregations believe. Each Baptist church interviews and hires every paster and employee as a democracy, with straight up voting and sometimes private ballots on important issues.

Also, in general, most Baptists are evangelical - meaning they want to convert the world to Christianity (not necessarally to make people Baptists). So, Baptists make recordings of services, buy broadcast time on radio and TV stations, and spend money on technology to get the Christian salvation message out to the world. Because of this, the rare idiot who manages to get a leadership position in some church (which I have to assume is full of not very Christian people) can get a stupid or non-Christian statement captured and repeated over and over all around the world. That's another reason many of the crazy preachers we often hear about tend to call themselves Baptists.

Trust me, most people calling themselves Baptists do NOT agree with any of these nutjobs. However, Baptists do tend to stand up and speak out for the things they believe to be taught to us in the Bible. Some of those things are, by today's standards, considered rude, insulting, or closed-minded. Baptists tend not to have a problem with people who don't share their faith disagreeing with them.

By the way, WTH is up with that video? Was it made for Turkish television???

Apparently the video is not complete and there is more sermon before it and after it that puts it into context. This little snippet is the kind of thing that the liberal left does to spin things in their direction. However, I will say, this guy is a biot of a nut, but the intent is not how it was portrayed in that piece of the video.

Maximo said:
Apparently the video is not complete and there is more sermon before it and after it that puts it into context. This little snippet is the kind of thing that the liberal left does to spin things in their direction. However, I will say, this guy is a biot of a nut, but the intent is not how it was portrayed in that piece of the video.

I cannot imagine in what context harming a child for any reason, much less the behavior described, would be OK.

Sometimes anyone making a controversial statement will use hyperbole to lessen the blow of the controversy once explained. In the very next sentence he could have said, "Of course I am not saying you should punch a kid or punish him for acting out on impulses, but you need to teach your children the proper ways to behave - the same way you would teach a kid not to use foul language or openly insult people."

I have no idea if that's what he was doing, but I can easily see a reason for using attention getting statements to make less extreme point you want people to walk with. Effective and creative communicators commonly use that trick.

Still, I would not accept that level of extreme language in my church.

mzpro5 said:
Maximo said:

I cannot imagine in what context harming a child for any reason, much less the behavior described, would be OK.

I wias listening to the breakboawn of this whole deal on the radio on my way in. And I guess the intent was to "punch him in the arm" kind of thing. Man up if you will?

Still, I don't go for that kind of preaching, I think its stupid. But I just want all the facts before pinning this guy up.

Another Babtist in the crowd, :text-+1: Well Southern Babitst, hey you can cure all your kids ills by arm punches. Wow, who knew. Oh by the way I may not be the most macho guy in the world but no fantasies about dresses or such. However I never had the urge to go dig a ditch either.

And don't get me wrong, my big thing about this, is I don't want to be a sucker and only get half the story because someone wanted to paint someone else in a certain light by only posting part of the video. That's not fair.

Maximo said:
And don't get me wrong, my big thing about this, is I don't want to be a sucker and only get half the story because someone wanted to paint someone else in a certain light by only posting part of the video. That's not fair.

Then you will probably have to stay away from all forms of the mainstream media. :handgestures-thumbdown:

It is nearly impossible to get the whole story without someones spin. Kinda like what this religious whackjob was doing.

Wow, another blow to Christians and Southerners. :roll:

Thanks asshole.

I have been at war with Dominion Theologians, Fideists and Fundamentalists for YEARS.

Here's some brief commentary from Lawrence O'Donnell.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/0 ... 73705.html

On YouTube this has many views on probably many channels. The one I saw had this as the highest voted comment:

If any of his congregation had any real balls, they would have "manned up" and punched that asshole Sean Harris in the face.

Haywood said:
I have been at war with Dominion Theologians, Fideists and Fundamentalists for YEARS.

Can someone use smaller words and tell me what he just said? :scared-eek:

GreatDane said:
Here's some brief commentary from Lawrence O'Donnell.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/0 ... 3705.html..

The video of that sermon gives his words a whole new meaning. My immediate reaction, when first hearing the audio clip, was this guy was off his rocker and promoting child abuse if he/she starts "acting gay".

Watching the video, especially at the point where he mentions "crack his wrist", takes on a whole new meaning. I really feel he was not suggesting to the congregation the kid's wrist should be broken, but just the kid should be corrected. I took the comment as a metaphor instead of violently lashing back.

Maximo said:
mzpro5 said:
Maximo said:

I wias listening to the breakboawn of this whole deal on the radio on my way in. And I guess the intent was to "punch him in the arm" kind of thing. Man up if you will?

Still, I don't go for that kind of preaching, I think its stupid. But I just want all the facts before pinning this guy up.

After seeing the video, I totally agree. I think that was the pastor's intent. Not the way I would go about it, but I think that was his intent all along. Just a punch in the arm kinda thing.

It's clear he's against homosexuality in any form, but I do feel he is not promoting child abuse in order to prevent your kid(s) from growing up and becoming gay as the media (especially Lawrence O' Donnell) is pointing out.

y'know what's funny?
Right now there are a couple dozen bloggers in muslim countries that are reposting that video, proving to the world that christians are child-beaters.
And a bunch of other muslims posting those blogger's posts proving that all christians are Evil!

Pass the popcorn!

Botch said:
y'know what's funny?
Right now there are a couple dozen bloggers in muslim countries that are reposting that video, proving to the world that christians are child-beaters.
And a bunch of other muslims posting those blogger's posts proving that all christians are Evil!

Pass the popcorn!
:eusa-clap:

Do I have your permission to cut and paste this comment to another thread? :happy-smileygiantred:

Like most fundamentalists, he is blissfully ignoring the entire body of legitimate peer-reviewed research and running forward with his presumptions and biases. People who throw Exodus and Leviticus around are hypocrits unless they make sure they don't wear fabric woven from more than one kind of thread, agree to fuck their dead brother's wife, think women should have to marry their rapists and a huge list of other stuff that nobody holds to anymore for very good reason. There is a whole lot of cherry picking that goes on whenever you want to judge someone else.

Back