• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Pearl Harbor - 24 Hours After

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Am currently watching this documentary on the History Channel, pretty damn interesting. Its going thru the 24 hours following the attack on PH, pulling us into WWII. Some interesting facts:
1. FD Roosevelt had a bad sinus infection the day of the attack, and spent an hour with his Dr. to clear it up before his speech to the Joint Congress the next day. In '41, the treatment (which he got) was... cocaine, right up the nose. !!!
2. Churchill tried really hard to get a link between the Japanese attack, and Germany, so that the US would enter the war in Europe. Despite early reports, there were no links between the two Axis countries, at that time.
3. Its Stunning to realize how poor communications were in those days; it took hours for the info to reach the White House, and there wasn't even a direct line between Hawaii and Washington; they had to go thru PACAF Commander in CA first!
4. It took several hours before the Commander of US forces in the Phillipines, Gen McArthur, was warned of a possible follow-on attack; he assured the President they were ready, but he was caught with his pants down and lost over half his fleet in the next couple hours. A couple of his subordinates lost their jobs, but he didn't. (Some things are constant...)
5. I knew Roosevelt had polio, and tried to hide his crippled condition from the American people, and that he got the press to not report it quite successfully. What I didn't know is, he became wheelchair-bound in 1921!! In this day of knowing about what style underwear the president wears, and how many open marriages he proposes, this is pretty amazing. He also designed his own wheelchair.
6. Franklin and Eleanor never slept in the same bed while in the White House (and they were there for over 3 terms!) Their marriage was pretty much over when he was first elected, he had an extremely close relationship with a previous secretary (he willed half his estate to her, and there is evidence he slept with her). Surprising, as Eleanor is credited with being one of the most supportive, and equivalent, First Ladies in American history.

7. Fearing an attempt on Roosevelt's life, the Secret service used a bulletproof car confiscated from Al Capone to drive the president to give his speech before congress. The vehicle budget for the president at that time was insufficient to purchase a car like that.

Excellent program.

Orbison said:
7. Fearing an attempt on Roosevelt's life, the Secret service used a bulletproof car confiscated from Al Capone to drive the president to give his speech before congress. The vehicle budget for the president at that time was insufficient to purchase a car like that.

Excellent program.
Gah, I forgot that one! Thanks, Orbison!

Back