• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

phantom center speaker experiences

jomari

War Never Changes
Famous
so, just curious for those who has experienced using a phantom center speaker how well or difficult was it for you? im also understanding that
- essentially no signal is lost and is just transferred to the left and right channel, correct?
- seating position is immaculately needed to be in the middle. anyone who isnt, is screwed.

so i guess everyones going to watch a movie on top of me.

It costs absolutely nothing to try so there's no reason not to give it a shot. I had been running a 3.1 system in the living room but was finding it difficult to hear dialog. After repeatedly changing the sound mode to Stereo for a couple of months I eventually decided to sell the center channel.

As CMonster stated, you really should try it. When I tried it, I found almost no difference without it than with but ONLY when seated in the center. Sitting off-axis (in my room) immediately proved a center channel speaker was required. YMMV.

thank you both. i will definitely give it a shot. i think its because everytime i turn it on to some sort of 'front speaker DSP, it kinda gives the fronts a bit more heft, and well, shows it has a lot to er... show. when i put it on '5.1' or DD surround, which is another DSP, the center is definitely taking up the show. its been a while, and with the kids and all, i havent dialed in my system.

recently got a new center speaker, and kinda matched the 5.25 baffles the mains have now, sounds so much better... but i am just excited to hear what others say about having a phantom center.

thank you again for the input.

Back