• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Pricing for Sony 55 and 65 inch 4K sets announced

Towen7

Staff member
The XBR-55X900A (55-inch ver­sion) will be avail­able for $4,999 and the XBR-65X900A (65-inch ver­sion) will be avail­able for $6,999. They’re much cheap­er than the $25,000 84-inch 4K TV Sony was sell­ing last year, but still cer­tain­ly not afford­able for the aver­age con­sumer. The TVs are expect­ed to be avail­able online and in retail stores on April 21st.

slashgear.com

Interesting. I clearly remember when Sony pushed out their first SXRD set it was $12k and within 2 years had dropped to a much more "reasonable" $4k. Hope it follows the same pricing cycle here.

Has any Source component (Cable Providers? Blu-Ray Players? etc...) been making 4k output available to make use of the display capability?

Yeah. They have a media player with suppport for 4K content as well as a developing online distribution service.

I got to look at the new TVs this week, they are mighty impressive. I was really impressed with the OLED reference displays better, but they will cost a fortune. The best was Canon's reference monitor.

Attachments

• 20130411_093942.jpg
    20130411_093942.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 652
How they demoed the OLED sets.

Attachments

• 20130411_135551.jpg
    20130411_135551.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 651
Took a look at the Sony 65" 4K display the other day at the local Magnolia Home Theater. A very noticeable difference between a Blu-Ray and 4K source. Wonder how long until the price drops down again. Hoping to hold out for one of these babies when they are in the $3k range.

I have limited interest in 4k. I doubt we'll see a ton of content for a long time, given the bandwidth requirements, and I have no interest in upgrading my movie library yet again. I am not convinced that 4k looks enough better on a normal sized screen at normal seating differences to be worth the investment or hassle. I see it as a potentially big boon for the projector crowd, but on sub-70" sets I'm not sold.

Making my movie library constantly obsolete is not a great way to encourage me to keep buying movies either. I'm honestly questioning the wisdom in the roughly $10-15k "investment" I've already made.

Haywood said:
Making my movie library constantly obsolete is not a great way to encourage me to keep buying movies either. I'm honestly questioning the wisdom in the roughly $10-15k "investment" I've already made.

Technology, ain't it great? My recent HDCP issues have not made me happy, that's for sure.

"There's a sucker born every minute."

One of the reasons I'm interested in UltraViolet is the possibility of inexpensive upgrades as technology progresses, since I'm not buying physical media.

Back