• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Projector - LCD VS DLP VS LCOS

heeman

PRETTY HAPPY.........
Famous
What do you own and how did you decide?

I will be purchasing a projector within the next couple of months, I hope!

I was curious about these 2 technologies and why you guys chose the technology that you own.

Re: Projector - LCD VS DLP

LCD for me. I don't like the idea of having a "wheel" in my projector. One more thing that could break.

DLP is/was a very nice tech...but it seems it went downhill when TI went half the amount of mirrors (first was a mirror for each pixel...then some kind of modulation with the chips).
Mitsu is still making DLP displays in Mexico from what I understand. Not sure if TI is still involved with the DLP chips....
Wouild love to follow what info you get to your question.

There's a few companies producing DLP projectors.....top ones are: Mitsubishi, Benq, and Acer.

Some advantages of DLP projectors are color rendition, 3D capability, smooth motion, and overall "pop" of the picture. Disadvantages would be potential for rainbow effect (minority of people), black levels.

Major improvements with DLP as of late...but now, the Benq w7000 offers the best 3D viewing for sharpness and brightness. By far. However, due to the auto-iris not in affect in 3D, the black levels are not as good.

LCD projectors have, in general, issues with sharpness and ghosting during 3D...but they have superior auto-iris that allows better black levels than DLP's, in general.

Most $2k and up DLP projectors have 6x color wheels to make rainbow effect virtually eliminated.

I like the picture of DLP better than LCD projectors....on most movies (pixar, etc.), but for Sci-fi or darker movies....Epson would be my choice. For 3D...DLP would be my choice.

I edited the title of this thread to include LCOS Technology.......(for you JVC Guys)!

I suppose it's a personal choice . What looks better to YOU? You will be the one watching it the majority of the time. As for me, I started with the lowly INfocus 4805 DLP. I liked the picture and had no problems with rainbow effects. Sadly it had problems with the light tunnel (well documented on the interwebs) and so I decided to move on. Did my homework and went with the JVC DLA RS 10 and could not be happier.
Mike

The only negatives with JVC at the moment is their light output for 3D, especially if using a large screen. Well, their 3D overall is not their strength, and many other PJ's costing less perform better. However, if you have a perfect room (black ceiling, gray walls, absolutely no light), nothing can touch the JVC for overall 2D picture quality.

LCOS, is what I have and what I always wanted from the first time I ever saw an LCOS RP Mits (anyone else remember those 82" RPTVs that were literally about 2' thick and stood ~5' tall?). I love the lack of any kind of pixelation, the fluid motion, and the color capabilities. JVC and Sony both make LCOS projectors but, of the projectors I've seen, the JVCs are better.

:twocents-mytwocents:

John

JVC is where I am headed if I can ever get someone reliable to do my addition...... :angry-tappingfoot:

Zing said:
Wardsweb said:
I looking right now and leaning towards the Panasonic PT-AE7000U.
You simply cannot go wrong with that projector.
I would go this route for the extra $500. With the est. 5000 hour lamp, 3 year warranty and free glasses and shipping its a better projector and a better deal IMHO.

BTW, this is the one I settled on and am gonna order after Tday. :banana-rock:

Oh and as far as which tech is best? Well for me its LCD because I got headaches from the lowly 4801 years ago....... but thats just me.

walls said:
Zing said:
Wardsweb said:
I looking right now and leaning towards the Panasonic PT-AE7000U.
You simply cannot go wrong with that projector.
I would go this route for the extra $500. With the est. 5000 hour lamp, 3 year warranty and free glasses and shipping its a better projector and a better deal IMHO.

BTW, this is the one I settled on and am gonna order after Tday. :banana-rock:
Better projector than what model?

Back