• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Projectors and "Broadcast TV"

mzpro5

Famous
I have been sitting here planning my basement HT and have a question for those with projectors.

How much do you guys with projectors use them for "broadcast"/STB TV?

For the basement HT I had origionally planned on the 58" plasma that would be used for DTV and Roku and a projector with a "drop down" screen for BD/DVD. But if the projector is good for occasional viewing via STB I could skip having the plasma down there.

Thoughts?

I don't use mine much for casual TV for a few reasons but mostly because it's kind of isolated from the rest of the house. I do use it for big events like football games though. I don't see why you'd need to have two displays down there. Unless you planned on a open gathering space with a TV that was separate from the theater.

I would skip the plasma if I were you. Today's projectors are boasting 4000-5000 hour lamp life ratings. That's a lot of movies, prime time network programs, talk shows and soap operas.

Mine gets used for all of my viewing, Dish, BDs etc...I love it for pretty much everything.

i can pull up the garbage in, garbage out card... but man, pj's nowadays are so flippin awesome, despite the signal being a standard def ...

id go with the pj. mines still strong at around 5 years and so, without changing the bulb yet.

its all about calibrating it tho. but you already know that. ;)

We use ours for quite a bit of TV viewing. We especially enjoy sports, concerts, and some TV shows, such as Hawaii 5-0, which really look good in hi-def. I would also forgo the additional plasma.

John

Back