• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Question for my daughter

jamhead

Quick question....Our daughter has been wanting a Nintendo DS from Santa for almost a year. She is almost 7 yrs old. Now, I don't want to spend a lot of money, and I have reservations on the DS (cost of games and it's possibly outdated). Any other types of games/learning games out there for a 7 year old? We saw a "tablet" at Toys R us for 150 bucks, called the Tabeo (or something). I'm looking for something that could download games, mainly learning ones, perhaps books, etc. Is the Kindle something good for a 7 year old?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I think a Kindle Fire would be a great idea. It's an Android tablet so has lots of games and learning apps as well as being an excellent eBook reader.

Also Jamhead I don't think the DS is going away soon, they just released the 3DS XL. I'd only be concerned about price for newly released games, and there are plenty of used ones...I also like the kindle fire idea, but a lot of the games are gonna revolve around the accelerometer for controls.

It's been a while since I had kids that young. But I got go thinking... Is a Fire something SHE wants. I've made the mistake of giving my kids things that I thought were better than what they wanted and it rarely ended well. More often than not the better thing sat in a drawer because, regardless if how cool I thought it was, it just wasn't what they wanted.

Towen7 said:
It's been a while since I had kids that young. But I got go thinking... Is a Fire something SHE wants. I've made the mistake of giving my kids things that I thought were better than what they wanted and it rarely ended well. More often than not the better thing sat in a drawer because, regardless if how cool I thought it was, it just wasn't what they wanted.
I like the idea of the Fire but that is really something to consider. Perhaps a trip to BB with her to get a feel for the Fire, I am pretty sure they have them on Display.

One nice thing about the Fire is along with apps and games Amazon has a very good selection of books for kids and teens. Plus they offer a book deal of the day for younger readers and the books are discount priced for that day.

Excellent feedback guys....thank you very much.

Towen...very valuable point, and it's a great idea to have her check one out.

Batman..not sure what you mean by accelerometer.

My concern with the DS is the $$ of games, and I'm not sure if it's a one dimensional product. I like the idea of her using her device for more educational purposes...like reading, or even watching videos. She loves my iphone and the touch screen as well.

I've hidden her from a lot of media to date...forcing her to use her imagination when playing. I'm hesitant to begin down this road...but also know it's important for her to be up-to-speed on technology as well. Double -edged sword.

Jamhead I just meant that a majority of the games on the tablet style device are controlled by tilting it in all directions depending on the game...

Jam, my 5yo and 8yo daughters LOVE my nexus 7, there are plenty of games on android that'd be suitable. They're totally into things like angry birds, bad piggies, quell (though that's really more geared as an adult puzzle game), cut the rope, where's my perry... there's a lot out there. Though I'm not sure about educational games, per se, I haven't really looked specifically into that, but I figure if they're playing puzzle-type games, they're learning something - logic, problem solving. Personally, I think it's a lot easier for a kid to use a tablet than some other game controller; my 5yo still struggles with the PS3 at times. And of course you can use a tablet as an e-reader as well, and there are certainly plenty of kids' books available.

I have no experience with the DS.

Batman said:
Jamhead I just meant that a majority of the games on the tablet style device are controlled by tilting it in all directions depending on the game...

Really? I haven't come across a single one like that... though I haven't really made efforts to look at kids' games, they just happen to like the puzzle-style ones I put on there originally for myself.

My daughter is 6 and an half and I was considering the Tabeo for her as well. She plays on my wife's nexus and my iPad and the nexus has issues seeing her tap the screen sometimes making playing games frustrating.

Iam going to take a hard look before buying. She loves my iPad but that ain't gonna happen .

D

in lieu of the cost of games tho, the ds does become pricey once one game or two is finished. thats the problem with cartridge or disc based games. you HAVE to buy the media to support it.

i agree on the idea that the fire or the counterpart is a great idea, but as mentioned earlier, is it really what SHE wants? in conjunction to that, altho you know its a better thing to have in the long run, its difficult to sway a kid when she wants this compared to what she NEEDS.

the kindle is a great tool as well for reading, and for learning stuff. give her an account and support it via amazon gift cards. have that used as a balance to make sure that it can teach her that a fixed amount per month is only allotted for it. she learns how to spend. of course, you can use a different method and simply use a er... 'debit card' (?) those you can buy like chase liquid or whatever its called. then YOU can see the cost as well and find out what she is buying or downloading. a parental monitor so to speak.

the DS is a great console, its been here forever and will not go away anytime soon. its got some great games there, that will never be seen in other consoles, and well, some rpgs and rts games are great on them. but as always, will cost you.

one word of advice:

whichever one you choose, let them know that there is an associated cost, and a degree of responsibility. this isnt a gift for free and money doesnt fall from trees. from time to time a game is available, we can discover an economical way of purchasing them, and/or learn money matters in the same way.

best wishes. :happy-smileygiantred:

Back