• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Radar Cross Section Test Facility, Hill AFB UT

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
This is a facility we toured yesterday at Hill:

http://www.okland.com/markets/federal/hill-air-force-base-f22-radar-cross-section-test-facility/

Inside, an F-22 or F-35 fighter can be balanced on two pylons, lifted into the center of the main chamber, and a turntable the pylons are mounted on rotates slowly, while the jet is hit with radar waves to ensure no "missed spots" in the radar-absorptive coating/paint (it doesn't take much of a missed area to ruin the whole cloak).
The chamber is huge (the stairs from the floor to the ceiling are 5 stories, as is the downstairs to the turntable supports) and some surfaces have radar absorbing cones (look just like anechoic cones, but absorb radar instead of sound) while the other surfaces are glass-smooth and I can't tell you what they're coated with, or the cones for that matter (classified).
But, I wanted to post about it because it was the most unusual-sounding room I've ever been in. When a sound, say a handclap, is first created you hear the sound directly. Then, immediately after you hear a single, distinct reflection, from the closest reflective surface (say, a nearby wall). Then you hear the first reflection from the next-closest wall, then the next, and soon you start hearing second reflections of the first reflections, and soon it all blends into a smooth, decaying sound known as reverberation. This is easy to experience inside any larger, reflective room, such as an empty gymnasium or church sanctuary. I have several rack-mounted "effects" units that can electronically simulate both the first reflection (called "slap-back") and the reverberation; my newest effects box, a Yamaha SPX-900 (admittedly many years old now) even featured parameters where you could enter the dimensions of the room, bare or carpeted floors, ceiling material, even drapes and wainscotting, feed it a dry signal and the output sounded just like it happened in that particular room. Great fun!
Anyway, back to the RCS facility. Because some surfaces were highly reflective, and others mostly absorptive, it gave the room a totally unique sound; I heard it right away as we walked in and my boss was talking. I clapped my hands once, and it sounded REALLY bizarre! It sounded like multiple slap-backs, but the sound never really got a chance to "blend" into reverberation, the distinct claps just faded away, quite slowly.
Dang, I wish you guys could hear it, I've experienced nothing like it before. Would also be interested to hear what a basketball game would sound like in there, would probably drive you insane. :geek:

Interesting. Some of those are cool pics too, especially that second-to-last one, the gray&white looking up (or down?) the staircases.

Sounds similar to the large reverberant chambers that I have been in.

There, you want the sound to hang around for as long as possible. A clap can last for a very long time as it slowly decays.

The more reverberant a chamber is, the more efficient it is in terms of energy input versus acoustic energy hitting the test object.

NRC's big reverberant chamber could accommodate very large (space shuttle size) satellites. Satellites are designed to be launched twice: once in a test chamber and once during the real launch. A typical test run involves hitting the test article with acoustic energy that exactly matches that which is expected to be produced by the actual rocket that the satellite will be launched on, for the duration of the launch. At the start of the run the sound is very quickly brought up to a level that's 10dB below actual, stabilized, and then brought the rest of the way. Launch on! If your chamber screws up and overshoots on the levels then that's a really really big awshit!

For the biggest chambers they are first evacuated and then filled with nitrogen. Nitrogen absorbs for less energy than air - meaning you can hit the necessary levels with greater efficiency.

And it would take me quite a while to describe how you actually make that sound. Just trust me: it's way cool!

But I digressed...

Jeff

Jeff, I hope you have some fleshing out of that story in your book, sounds (heh) fascinating!

Back