• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

RF Remote?

Maximo

So I have not been in the RF remote game for while.

Is this the thing right now?

My gear will be in the back of the living room in a closet. So I need rf.

I already have a wired IR repeater that I may be able to run to the back of the room. But I will need to run extra cable. That is why I am thinking about the new remote.

I know the logitec stuff gets all the love around here, but I am partial to the URC solutions.

I have three RF remotes but only use 2 at the moment. I use an MX900 for the living room system and an MX980 for the HT along with an MRF260 in each room. It's software is not as easy to setup as Logitech's but the system is more powerfull. I was able to program the MX900 myself but the 980 rerquired professional assistance. I especially love the ability to use URC light dimmers and switches.

Towen7 said:
I know the logitec stuff gets all the love around here, but I am partial to the URC solutions.

I have three RF remotes but only use 2 at the moment. I use an MX900 for the living room system and an MX980 for the HT along with an MRF260 in each room. It's software is not as easy to setup as Logitech's but the system is more powerfull. I was able to program the MX900 myself but the 980 rerquired professional assistance. I especially love the ability to use URC light dimmers and switches.

Max

I have an MX900 in very good condition which I no longer use and would be willing to give you a bargain on if you were to decide to go that route.

That is very nice of you MZ. IM me a price and I will add it to my budget and I will get back to you when I know what we are going to do.

Max

A duh from me it is not an mx900 but the mx700. That is a discontinued model but does do RF.

Not sure if it is still supported with computer programming.

The biggest problem w/ programming the MX700 is that it probably (>99% chance) uses a serial interface. Finding a computer w/ a serial port, or an adapter compatable w/ Win7x64, can be a trick now. Other than that, you shouldn't have too many problems, AFAIK. Check out www.remotecentral.com for some pretty detailed info.

Also, I agree w/ T7. URCs are a little more of a headache to program but that is directly due to the increased capabilities of the remotes (much more customization capabilities) and base stations (base station addressing and individual port addressing). Throw in the URC lighting (by Lutron - using their very cool Maestro series dimmers) and you really get a cool package.

John

Lutron also added a cool program that will tell you with DMX and Led lights what the color output will be if you mix Red Green and Blue.

Cool for the band and stage work. Can be fun in the HT.

Back