• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

RRoD

Batman

Staff member
Famous
Noooooooo! Our 7+ Yo Xbox 360 finally had the dreaded Red Ring of Death this evening....the damn thing crapped out on the kids right in the middle of a game. It froze and had video artifacts all over the screen. We turned it off and tried to reboot to no avail and 3 of the 4 red lights were flashing. I did a little research and viewed a few YouTube vids and thankfully it's not a total hardware failure. I ran out to the rat shack picked up some thermal paste and a couple small torx bits and several hours later and a couple tries at repair, I have it functioning normally again. Hopefully it will last long enough to transfer save data to another console and hopefully it's as easy as it sounds. But I've also never had to do a transfer. Any of you avid Xbox gamers have any advice concerning what is sure to be an inevitable downward spiral to throwing this thing in the dumpster?

F.Y.I.
Thermal Paste:
A great substitute proven to be more effective than Artic Silver and various other brands is Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant.

Rope

Rope said:
F.Y.I.
Thermal Paste:
A great substitute proven to be more effective than Artic Silver and various other brands is Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant.

Rope
Interesting, looks like I can find it in any auto parts store. I picked up a small vial of the arctic silver in anticipation of having to repair it again. I just may try that instead if need be, Thanks Rope!

Batman said:
Noooooooo! Our 7+ Yo Xbox 360 finally had the dreaded Red Ring of Death this evening....the damn thing crapped out on the kids right in the middle of a game. It froze and had video artifacts all over the screen. We turned it off and tried to reboot to no avail and 3 of the 4 red lights were flashing. I did a little research and viewed a few YouTube vids and thankfully it's not a total hardware failure. I ran out to the rat shack picked up some thermal paste and a couple small torx bits and several hours later and a couple tries at repair, I have it functioning normally again. Hopefully it will last long enough to transfer save data to another console and hopefully it's as easy as it sounds. But I've also never had to do a transfer. Any of you avid Xbox gamers have any advice concerning what is sure to be an inevitable downward spiral to throwing this thing in the dumpster?

Confused. Can't you just take the HDD off the system and put it on another system?
Why transfer?

Batman said:
Rope said:
F.Y.I.
Thermal Paste:

Rope
Interesting, looks like I can find it in any auto parts store. I picked up a small vial of the arctic silver in anticipation of having to repair it again. I just may try that instead if need be, Thanks Rope!

I experienced a situation during tax season where my CPU chip was over heating late at night. Ran across a site where a super geek had tried and measured the thermal capabilities of substances from cheese to peanut butter to thermal pastes. This person inadvertantly used Permatex (which I have on hand for aluminum head spark plug installation) which tested better than most if not all the thermal pastes.

Rope

The DirtMerchant said:
Batman said:

Confused. Can't you just take the HDD off the system and put it on another system?
Why transfer?
I would do a transfer because my 2 other xboxes have larger HDDs. This one is an original (G1) premium 360 which at the most had a 60gb HDD and may be as small as 20gb...

Batman said:
The DirtMerchant said:
Batman said:

Why transfer?
I would do a transfer because my 2 other xboxes have larger HDDs. This one is an original (G1) premium 360 which at the most had a 60gb HDD and may be as small as 20gb...

Ah...understood.

Back