• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Security Cameras

Nufan

I assume many of you have home security cameras. i am looking into getting a 2 camera set up for my house.
My dream list:
1.Wireless (i don't know where I would plug into a power source and am not handy with snaking down walls and putting in outlets)
-one that doesn't interfere with the wi-fi
2. remote viewing on computer and/or smartphone
3. weather resistant.

My girlfriend works for CenturyLink so the Comcast security option, is, well, not an option!

Thoughts? Suggestions?

oh and of course budget....cheaper the better, nothing over $300

Foscam FI8910W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with IR-Cut Filter for True Color Images - 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens (67° Viewing Angle)

The Foscam FI8910W features high quality video and audio, pan/tilt, remote internet viewing, motion detection, night-vision, embedded IR-Cut filter as well as a built in network video recording system. In addition, it is smartphone compatible (iPhone, Android & Blackberry) as well as viewable over the internet using standard web-browsers. The camera functions well as an iPhone baby monitor or as part of a home or office security system with remote internet monitoring ability. Building on the success of the Foscam FI8918W, the FI8910W is the latest camera from Foscam Digital Technologies LLC. The FI8910W distinguishes itself with an embedded IR-Cut filter providing enhanced picture and color quality. The IR-Cut filter automatically adjusts the lighting exposure via mechanical filter to provide true and accurately colored images that are not washed out. In addition, the FI8910W has an upgraded and higher quality external housing as well as an included 2 year extended warranty. Features: Remote internet monitoring from anywhere in the world over LAN or internet Supports standard browsers; iPhone/iPad, Android & Blackberry compatible IR-Cut filter for true color video and images Two-way audio 300 degree pan, 120 degree tilt Auto IR-LED illumination lights for night vision up to 8 meters IR lights can be turned off manually from the software Audio quality is improved, there will be no noise when speaking into the camera. WPA2, WPA & WEP Internal mic as well as jack for external mic Simple to setup with a friendly graphical interface 640 x 480 Pixels (300k Pixels) Infrared Motion Detection (with email notification and image upload via FTP) Wifi IEEE 802.11b/g, Wired connection also included DDNS Multi-level user management.what's in the box: Foscam Wireless IP Camera, Wifi Antenna, User Manual, Installation CD, Mounting Bracket, Network Cable and DC Power Supply 5v.

mzpro5,
I was looking at that Foscam camera, and although it looks nice; i wonder about it being placed outside under an awning?

Best security is big ass dogs. I know so many people with security cameras (real and fake) who have been robbed. Hardly anybody I know with mean sounding dogs have been robbed. Had a guy in my back yard late at night and the GF opened the door for their nightly crap and needless to say that guy crapped a lot faster than my two dogs who both went straight for him. He jumped my fence so fast he actually broke one of the slats on my wood gate.

MatthewB said:
Best security is big ass dogs. I know so many people with security cameras (real and fake) who have been robbed. Hardly anybody I know with mean sounding dogs have been robbed. Had a guy in my back yard late at night and the GF opened the door for their nightly crap and needless to say that guy crapped a lot faster than my two dogs who both went straight for him. He jumped my fence so fast he actually broke one of the slats on my wood gate.

Would love to but right now we just have her Boston Terrier that snores though most anything!
I think a lot of what she wants it for is to see if/who is at the door, the front door has glass panes that kinda defeat the purpose of a peep hole. When we are together longer I will push the doggie issue more :bow-blue:

Nufan, go to Lowe's/Home Depot & look for door blinds. Our front door has a "window" & back door has a window from top to bottom. The blinds are in a frame with glass. It mounts on the frame edging of the windows of the door on the inside side of the door. You can adjust the mini-blinds so you can see out & down but the person can't see in.
Just measure the door windows before you go.
Very easy to mount too.

id like to invest in a set for my sisters house...
nothing complex, just something simple i hope.

two requisites,
1. can be accessed by phone (android devices primarily)
2. stored somewhere, like a regular security camera, dvr'ed or something.

nufan, hows yours working out?

just thought id work on an existing thread and hopefully some input from y'all.

the reason why we need one, someone put a letter in the mailbox about their car being broken in and they needed help. of course, they didnt put any return address or whom to give the donation to. theyre not comfortable with people opening neighbors mailboxes, so the inquiry.

hit me up folks. thanks.

My worthless take on security cameras for home use...

Assuming you arent home when a burglar strikes, and the chances are overwhelming that you wont be, the best you can hope for is that the cops can catch the guy who already stole your stuff. The odds of said stuff being recovered in a condition that youd want it back (undamaged) are pretty low. Most burglars are just going to steal the camera (more damage to your walls and wiring) and/or the machine you're storing all that video on.

Most burglars will case a home before breaking in so I do like the idea of cameras/motion sensors outside the home to hopefully spot the guy so one can take extra precautions before he gets in.

thanks towen. i think thats the thing, im going to just beef up the motion sensor led light we have up front, and just get one unit. the 70 dollar one up front.

i dont plan on going full force on this, and would rather just 'deter' them instead.

if they really plan on getting stuff inside, i only hope that no one is home when it happens.

good perspective towen, i appreciate it. :text-bravo:

Regarding remote access ... How much spare time do you have that you can spend it watching what's not going on in your living room?

Remote access is for people with kids or pets. Parents may need to check in on the kids to be sure that they or the sitter are behaving. I'm not saying its not cool. I'm just saying that I know lots of people with remote access to their security cameras and, after the first month or so, they never use that feature.

A camera with remote access to make sure the kids get in safe from school would be great!

The problem with cameras and we use them at the hospital is that even when a crime occurs and you get the guys face on camera unless you know the guy personally absolutely nothing is going to be done. The police won't know the guy unless he's a nightly guest at the jail and the police don't have the resources to track down a perp even with video proof. Here in Phoenix I had my apartment broken into and the police wouldn't even send out a cop to investigate. They took the report over the phone and I had to pay a 25.00 fee to get a copy of the report for insurance purposes.

Last week at our hospital we had three young hoodlums break into a candy machine, steal the money and candy and we can see them running with candy in their arms to their apartment across the street all caught on video cameras. We see them enter the hospital, we see them take the stairs to the second floor we see them leave the same way with arms full of candy and our cameras catch them cross the street into their apartment. The cops wouldn't even file a report after viewing the video footage. Why because we had no camera on the candy machine itself and so we couldn't prove they actually broke into the machine. They'll just say they paid for the candy and the machine must've been broken afterwards. So even with overwhelming proof the cops still couldn't do anything.

A camera much like a car alarm is worthless cause nobody will pay attention and unless you actually know the criminal or the investigating officer knows him by sight (that's if the cop even shows up) nothing will be done.

i understand matt and appreciate your example on this.

as much as id hate to admit it, i know the cops cant do much about it. but if ever it would serve as a deterrent, that alone is worth the investment. we've had some freaky stuff here in the bay area, package thefts, people held up etc, but been caught with the help (if you can call it that) of the media or its hype.

bottom line for me is, that candy, the machine itself and the money in it, can be replaced.

thanks again for the input.

Back