• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Shopping for a clean budget stereo preamp

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
Friends - I am current on the market for a reliable, clean, and affordable stereo preamp. Requirements include the need for four RCA stereo line-level inputs, volume control, and RCA line-level outputs. Size doesn't matter, but I don't need video switching or subwoofer outputs. An additional input for a phono cartridge is okay, but not required. I'd like to have a remote control, but it isn't necessary.

In shopping for new products, it seems the closest I can get from a reputable company is the current Parasound ZPre. But at the lowest online price of $450 that's about double what I really want to pay and it has way more features than I need.

I can make my own passive preamp, and I may do that, but then I definitely won't bother with a remote, which I'd like if I can get it.

Any suggestions?

Do a search on Ebay for preamp. Then on the left side filter, put your $ amount from 100 to 250. This returns a lot of options. There are analog and digital from the names of Rotel, B&K, Hafler and Emotiva, to name just a few. Vintage to modern are there in numbers. You can also search places like USAudiomart.com (free) and Audiogon (fee).

I didn't even know that was posted, HA!

Unfortunately, I have had 100% terrible experiences from eBay, so they are not on my list of shopping sites. Of the 15, or so, electronics items I've purchased from the site, all of them were in far worse condition than advertised and most of them were unusable. Sure, I got my money back on the stuff that was obviously bad, but the stuff that failed after a month or two from poor maintenance before I bought them and the seller doing a quick and temporary fix-up prior to shipping, I got stuck with those.

I know not everyone has the bad experiences I have had, but mine have been so perfectly consistent and horrible, I don't even log onto the site for price comparisons anymore.

That said, I have had incredibly good experiences with Craigslist where others have not. It is strange how these things work out.

I didn't even know that was posted, HA!

Unfortunately, I have had 100% terrible experiences from eBay, so they are not on my list of shopping sites. Of the 15, or so, electronics items I've purchased from the site, all of them were in far worse condition than advertised and most of them were unusable. Sure, I got my money back on the stuff that was obviously bad, but the stuff that failed after a month or two from poor maintenance before I bought them and the seller doing a quick and temporary fix-up prior to shipping, I got stuck with those.

I know not everyone has the bad experiences I have had, but mine have been so perfectly consistent and horrible, I don't even log onto the site for price comparisons anymore.

That said, I have had incredibly good experiences with Craigslist where others have not. It is strange how these things work out.
I agree that it can be hit and miss with eBay electronics. My worst experiences have been with devices with moving parts: DVD player, laserdisc player, etc. However I'd have very little concern about something like a "classic" stereo preamp. Perhaps contacts / switches would need looking at, but just about anything will after a couple of decades.

Jeff

Friends - I am current on the market for a reliable, clean, and affordable stereo preamp. Requirements include the need for four RCA stereo line-level inputs, volume control, and RCA line-level outputs. Size doesn't matter, but I don't need video switching or subwoofer outputs. An additional input for a phono cartridge is okay, but not required. I'd like to have a remote control, but it isn't necessary.

In shopping for new products, it seems the closest I can get from a reputable company is the current Parasound ZPre. But at the lowest online price of $450 that's about double what I really want to pay and it has way more features than I need.

I can make my own passive preamp, and I may do that, but then I definitely won't bother with a remote, which I'd like if I can get it.

Any suggestions?
Didn't you have a Parasound 2100? Or did you already sell that? (I'm guessing that would have fit the bill?)

Yes, the Parasound 2100 would work well, though it is a bit overkill.

I still have it and it runs my Line Array speakers. I am keeping the line arrays, so that adds a new system. Since I am abandoning surround sound, all I need in my HT is a basic analog stereo preamp. So, I am going to remove the Onkyo Pro Preamp/Processor soon. I plan on moving my Halo Preamp into the HT and then I need something in my family room rig. I was thinking of moving the Parasound 2100 back to the family room where it had been until I got the Halo, so then I need something new for the Line Array.

I realize it is not a preamp but I have an Outlaw RR2150 that is in mint condition and I would consider selling it.

Back