• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

So Long Dish...We Had A Good Run

Batman said:
Towen7 said:
Call me old fashioned but I don't like paying Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO, Sling, MLB, and everone else separately.

With exception of Prime (which I was paying for regardless) this is why I subscribed to 4 services through iTunes, it gives me the benefit of syncing the charges to a once-a-month occurrence. But up to this point, several monthly charges, was a reason I was dragging my feet.

Amazon offers this now too, only with a much larger list of services. I'm tempted, but holding out to see what happens with the streaming device wars.

Yesfan70 said:
Bummed about the Roku 4. I was hoping it would much improved over the 3. I've had some hiccup issues with the 3 when using Netflix.

What about the Amazon Firestick? If it has Netflix, YouTube, and SlingTV, I may just go that route. I really don't want to sink $100 on a new device and start having streaming issues after I ditch Dish.

That's interesting, because I've had zero issues with either of my Roku 3 boxes or with the two my parents have. I guess it is one of those YMMV things. I have a Fire Stick and one of the reasons why I don't use it and have not adopted the Fire platform is lack of good UV support. There is the Flixster app, but Flixster tends to stream with 2 channel audio. Amazon does not support UV themselves and the Fire TV does not support Vudu, which is the best UV service out there. Given the size of my library, this is a huge deal. Conversely, I don't want to go with the Android TV platform due to lack of Amazon support. That leaves Roku and the version of Android TV embedded in my Sony. There may be hope on the horizon in the form of a better Roku or a decent streaming platform (i.e. Tizen) embedded in a 4k Blu-Ray player.

Cool thread Bats. I've gone back and forth on cutting the wire many times. However, in the end, I've decided that we watch enough sports to justify it. I will admit though that if something came up and I had to free up $100/month, U-Verse TV would be the first thing to go.

Also, I second your comments about the Dish hardware. It is the best.

I found Haywood's note about the Roku w/ the integrated tuner interesting as well. I may pick one of those up and play with OTA and see how much I would miss the wire.

John

I'm on Directv second to cheapest plan which has all the channels Michelle and I watch. We don't watch sports at all so most of the upper packages have sport channels I don't need. I don't need movie channels as I have Netflix and Hulu Plus via my brother in law and of course having 2,000 movies on Vudu and I add new movies way faster than redbox or any movie channel. My bill this month came in and it was 89.00 for my package, my whole home DVR and HD and two mini genies. I called Directv told them I'm cancelling because I can get Sling TV and added channels for about 30.00/month so they agreed to give me the next two years at 40.00 off per month and no price increase and no extending my contract. So I figure 49.00/month was worth still being able to DVR my shows and keep my current channel lineup. I also get an additional 5.00 off from Centurylink for bundling my Sat, phone and Internet so 45.00/month I figured wasn't bad

I do find I hardly watch cable channels as 90% of my watching is OTA but love listening to the music channels and of course watching AMC so 15.00 more than SlingTV was what I could deal with. They kept offering me movie channels and I told them I get new release movies on Vudu way before HBO and then they kept trying to sell me how much I'd miss out on Sports and I told them the only game I ever watch is just the Super Bowl which is free. I was about final on quitting when they agreed to drop my price below 50.00 which includes my programming and all my equipment fees.

MatthewB said:
I'm on Directv second to cheapest plan which has all the channels Michelle and I watch. We don't watch sports at all so most of the upper packages have sport channels I don't need. I don't need movie channels as I have Netflix and Hulu Plus via my brother in law and of course having 2,000 movies on Vudu and I add new movies way faster than redbox or any movie channel. My bill this month came in and it was 89.00 for my package, my whole home DVR and HD and two mini genies. I called Directv told them I'm cancelling because I can get Sling TV and added channels for about 30.00/month so they agreed to give me the next two years at 40.00 off per month and no price increase and no extending my contract. So I figure 49.00/month was worth still being able to DVR my shows and keep my current channel lineup. I also get an additional 5.00 off from Centurylink for bundling my Sat, phone and Internet so 45.00/month I figured wasn't bad

I do find I hardly watch cable channels as 90% of my watching is OTA but love listening to the music channels and of course watching AMC so 15.00 more than SlingTV was what I could deal with. They kept offering me movie channels and I told them I get new release movies on Vudu way before HBO and then they kept trying to sell me how much I'd miss out on Sports and I told them the only game I ever watch is just the Super Bowl which is free. I was about final on quitting when they agreed to drop my price below 50.00 which includes my programming and all my equipment fees.

How much money cord cutting saves depends a lot on what you watch. If you want the new episodes of all the latest shows across a broad cross section of network and cable channels, it can get expensive to add enough streaming services to cover them and you still may need to buy a one-off here and there.

Bump....

I finally "ditched the dish" with Dish. I was with them for about 10-11 years. To be honest, I had to bitch at them a bit to be cut lose. You see, I still had 5 months left on my Hopper contract. So, at the time, I was looking at paying a total of $155 to cancel my service. What really pissed me off is they didn't tell me that until they knew for sure I was going to cancel. They offered me a few months of "free service" to keep me, but I turned that down. Then they offered to reduce my bill by up to $40/mo. I refused that as I have been wanting to cut some costs. So, when they knew they had "lost" me for good, that's when they tried to stick me with the contract fee bullshit. To say I was livid would be an understatement.

Holy shit..............

I paid, for the past couple of years, around $100/mo for the service I had. I expected to pay that as my last payment. When they tried to stick me with an extra $55 contract fee, I went off on the sales guy and his manager. With all the perks the new customers get, I thought it was just bullshit to stiff me because I was wanting to leave. I even explained if I didn't have to leave, I wouldn't, but financial situations have made that decision for me. So what do they do? They blame in on 'the system'. The "system" wouldn't let them cancel the contract fee. What a pussified excuse. I would have had a lot more respect if the manager would have said, "no, this is what you signed up for".

Well, after hearing the manager back pedal in the background, they told me my final bill would be $68. Fine, but then the boxes they sent me to pack everything up looked like they were run over by a bus. Really???

I doubt I'll ever go back to satellite after this. So much for loyalty.

Back