• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Sony 60" SXRD - Picture brightness...uh...Judder?

The DirtMerchant

Famous
So my Sony SXRD is, I don't know...5 years old? The picture sometimes does several quick variations in brightness. Like 6-7 within 2 seconds or less. Almost like someone is running through 6-7 different brightness settings and then back to normal or there is some type of internal light emission test that is running. It might do this 3-4 times within 15 minutes...then nothing for a while (hours? days?). As far as I can tell it is completely random. I see no general degradation in my picture/brightness/quality...any ideas?

I'm hoping someone will say "your bulb is going soon, save up several hundy" as opposed to "oh shit, the light engine" or something either expensive or that basically requires me to buy a new display.

My gues would be the bulb but it's just that... a guess. The shifting brightness may be the light engine changing the "power" of the bulb based on its current draw, which can fluctuate as a bulb nears the proverbial end.

Towen7 said:
My gues would be the bulb but it's just that... a guess. The shifting brightness may be the light engine changing the "power" of the bulb based on its current draw, which can fluctuate as a bulb nears the proverbial end.

Only way to know is when the bulb fails?

Or to go ahead and change the bulb.

I did some searching last night and the typical advice was to turn off the Power Saver feature and replace the bulb.

Towen7 said:
Or to go ahead and change the bulb.

I did some searching last night and the typical advice was to turn off the Power Saver feature and replace the bulb.

I was going to say it sounds like something to do with the dynamic iris, and if you can disable it, try that first Dirtmerchant.

Back