• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Speaker distance?

Huey

Famous
After installing the new interconnects the other day, I ran YPAO to make the initial adjustments to distance and level, which was surprisingly almost dead on, just a few minor tweaks to distance and levels, as well as it sometimes wants to set some of the speakers to large with no crossover.

Question is, when I got the new tv back in December, I had to shift tv/rack etc slightly to the left of where it was. Before, my Sheldon spot on the couch would sit directly in line with the center speaker and the center of the tv, and the front speakers being equal distances to my ears. Since the shift, I now sit just to the right of the sweet spot, and YPAO adjusted according, by shortening the distance slightly to the right speaker and extending it to the left. This does skew the soundstage slightly and I can hear the distance difference when listening to 2 channel.

I've set it back so the distances both match, and it does seem to center the soundstage, even though I'm slightly off the sweet spot. What do you guys do in this situation? Technically, YPAO is correct, but it's what you hear that matters. I remember Dennie, remember him?, used to say that when setting your equipment, you should season to taste, and he isn't wrong.

I remember Franklin/IG/COF talking about how if you have the speakers toed in somewhat, it reduces the negative effects of listening somewhat to the left/right of the center sweet spot. At least I think I remember that. I admit I don't recall the details though.

The "Sheldon Spot" needs to enter the audiophile lexicon. :thumbsup:
I gotta say, can someone really call themselves the man of the house if they don't have their very own spot to sit in? Everybody knows that it's my spot, and are expected to move if I want to sit down. That sounds worse than what it is, but it is my spot! Dammit! lol
I remember Franklin/IG/COF talking about how if you have the speakers toed in somewhat, it reduces the negative effects of listening somewhat to the left/right of the center sweet spot. At least I think I remember that. I admit I don't recall the details though.
My speakers are toed in so that the tweeter is aimed directly at the sweet spot. I think YPAO set them at 12.6 and 13.2 feet respectively, and I increased 12.6 to 13 and it seemed to center the sound stage a little better.

dont you just plop the soundbar either on the tv stand or underneath the tv about an inch away from the fireplace.

Man i had a deal for you a couple of years ago.
I like my current fireplace and I am not willing to sell this one. LOL
Aw man, had my heart set on a new fire place. lol Glad you enjoy the new one Randy.

Back