• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Steve Wilson - Grace for Drowning

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
41OuviKEgWL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Got this in the mail a few days ago, based on various members' recs here for S.W.'s albums. Got the blu-ray version for the surround.

I was very excited about this one, and had very high hopes. I've heard a lot about his abilities esp. with surround sound, and that part I appreciated. He seems to have a gift for creating an immersive surround sound without it being overly heavy-handed or gimmicky. Bravo on that. Plus it was cool to see that Jordan Rudess plays in some tracks, now that I know who he is.

But, frankly, I was deeply disappointed with the music overall. This is just me, just my opinion, but I was completely un-moved by the music on this album. I thought it meandering and pointless, almost no melody whatsover. Some of it was downright ugly. There were some decent spots I suppose, but nothing that particularly grabbed me. I had a hard time even finishing the whole album.

Apologies to Botch and others who have expressed a fondness for Wilson's work. I really wanted to like this one... but no, it just didn't work for me. I felt that he put much more effort into layering various sounds, than composing interesting music. Even a pretty healthy serving of bourbon didn't save it. :eek:bscene-drinkingdrunk:

:snooty:

I'm gonna go listen to Atom Heart Mother again.

No apologies necessary, Pauly. We all like different things, and this forum would be pretty boring if we all felt the same about everything!

That being said, you're tasteless, clueless, probably republican and your mommy dresses you funny. :teasing-tease:

:happy-smileygiantred:

I can see how some folks wouldn't like Steve's stuff. A lot of the guys on my musician's forum can't stand Dream Theater, or Michael Franks, or Madonna. I sometimes consider myself lucky, I love a LOT of different stuff, except the stuff that easily proven crap, like Lou Reed, the Stones, Dwight Yoakum, Philip Glass, Enya, yada yada...

whups, there's the phone, gotta go!

Botch said:
No apologies necessary, Pauly. We all like different things, and this forum would be pretty boring if we all felt the same about everything!

That being said, you're tasteless, clueless, probably republican and your mommy dresses you funny. :teasing-tease:

:happy-smileygiantred:

I can see how some folks wouldn't like Steve's stuff. A lot of the guys on my musician's forum can't stand Dream Theater, or Michael Franks, or Madonna. I sometimes consider myself lucky, I love a LOT of different stuff, except the stuff that easily proven crap, like Lou Reed, the Stones, Dwight Yoakum, Philip Glass, Enya, yada yada...

whups, there's the phone, gotta go!

You didn't mention what you told me last night...He's a liar, his feet stink, and his mother wears his underwear. :happy-smileygiantred:

Rope

Back