• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Taco Groove

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
Kid's got some talent! :music-rockout:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOogCIB0TFQ[/youtube]

Pretty cool - and the instrument he's playing too.

PaulyT said:
Pretty cool - and the instrument he's playing too.
Wish I had more info on that instrument. Did you notice the asymmetrical frets?

Yeah, that was pretty wild. An 8-string bass, I guess the shape and tuning makes for those non-parallel frets...

PaulyT said:
Yeah, that was pretty wild. An 8-string bass, I guess the shape and tuning makes for those non-parallel frets...
Wouldn't call it a bass, the strings go high enough to qualify as a full-range instrument. I know Chapman made some "Sticks" that had bodies, and also some 8-string Sticks, but never saw one with asymmetrical frets. :think:

True. Couldn't identify the exact guitar he's got with its interesting lack of tuning pegs at the "head" (really no head at all), but apparently this is called a "fanned fret"...

:text-link:

Ah cool, thanks. Was wondering how you would tune the thing - looks like there are in-line tuning knobs at the base.

Technically, a Bass is a Guitar... they call them "Bass Guitars."

I had a long conversation about this with my bass-guitar playing friend while I was sitting at the piano-forte and he was tuning his new baritone-guitar. :)

Technically speaking it would be an "electric bass guitar" if it were a bass guitar. A "bass guitar" and an "electric bass guitar" are two different instruments, from what I have been taught by my instructors (both have masters degrees in music theory and such) it has to do with the tuning. An electric bass uses the same tuning as an upright bass (tuned in fourths) and a bass guitar MAY BE tuned in fifths, I am not exactly sure on that so don't quote me please.

From what I can gather reading about it in the link the instrument he is playing in this video would be considered a guitar, albeit one that plays really low. His style of playing enhances that. That cat's good, that's for sure.

There are a couple of high end electric bass manufacturers that make basses with fanned frets. I used to hangout at talkbass.com and there were several guys over there that had basses with fanned frets.

Although, if I didn't want to be quoted, I probably shouldn't have started my response off with "Technically speaking" and I shouldn't have used what is thus far, hearsay, as my evidence. :violence-torch: :violence-torch: :violence-torch:

Back