• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

The Plasma TV is about to be history

Flint

Prodigal Son
Superstar
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28143408

I am surprised no one posted any of the many articles about Samsung's announcement that they are going to discontinue production of the Plasma TVs before the end of the year.

I think most of us are still convinced that of the mostly affordable current TV technologies readily available in the shops. Plasma stands out well above the LCD alternatives. However, LCD has gotten better and OLED is slowly starting to show up at merely insanely high prices.

What about this?

Are we unconcerned because we already have the TVs of our dreams until they stop working?

I hope OLED is ready for the big-time because there needs to be an alternative to LCD...

Flint said:
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28143408

I am surprised no one posted any of the many articles about Samsung's announcement that they are going to discontinue production of the Plasma TVs before the end of the year.

What about this?

Are we unconcerned because we already have the TVs of our dreams until they stop working?

I am unconcerned because the only display that I care much about is my projector. The other screens in the house just need to be "good enough". When my LR display, a 58" Samsung plasma, gets replaced it'll be with whatever offers the biggest bang for the buck. That's because we use all the non-HT displays for casual viewing and I don't care if we get the absolute blackest blacks or whitest whites for DVRed copies of Big Bang Theory or sporting events.

My next set will be 4k. I am happy with my 1080p LED Light Engine DLP until then and am perfectly satisfied with the picture quality of LCD for secondary applications.

If/when (inevitable) my trusty 60" 1080p Panasonic plasma dies I will have the excuse I need to finish building my attic theater and move to a projector. Maybe a DLP or LCOS projector maybe with LED light source if they are viable and affordable by the time I am shopping for one. Because I don't think I could stand to watch any current flat panel technology as my primary movie watching display. It's fine for casual TV viewing but for critical movie viewing I just couldn't do it.

Hot Monkey said:
If/when (inevitable) my trusty 60" 1080p Panasonic plasma dies I will have the excuse I need to finish building my attic theater and move to a projector. Maybe a DLP or LCOS projector maybe with LED light source if they are viable and affordable by the time I am shopping for one. Because I don't think I could stand to watch any current flat panel technology as my primary movie watching display. It's fine for casual TV viewing but for critical movie viewing I just couldn't do it.

There are some very promising display technologies on the way over the next few years that might change your mind.

There are some very promising display technologies on the way over the next few years that might change your mind.

Believe me I am very hopeful this turns out to be the case. And for the record I do like the look of many projectors. So I am not just a plasma junkie. I just don't like anything I have seen in any LCD/LED flat panel to date. Doesn't seem to matter if it's got a 60, 120, 240, 480, 960 or 10,000,327hz refresh rate, local, edge dimming or dynamic contrast ratio of infinity to 1. They just don't look like what I am accustomed to viewing. I can't get over the sense that I am looking at a giant iPad or computer monitor and not a film like appearance.

Hot Monkey said:
I can't get over the sense that I am looking at a giant iPad or computer monitor and not a film like appearance.

That's been my experience too so far. There is just something about projected images that add to the "theater feel". I know it shouldn't but it does. At least for me so far. Maybe it's the screen size and viewing distance as much as anything else.

I'm still using an LED Light Engine DLP rear projector in my main system because I'm waiting for something better than LCD or at least a better version of LCD (quantum dot looks promising). I have LCD sets everywhere else in the house, but I don't mind them for secondary use.

Scott,

My 55" Samsung LED Light Engine DLP died which is how I wound up with the Panasonic plasma. Otherwise I would still be watching it and really liked it. Wish they still made them. My next (primary) display will just have to be front projection unless something new and promising emerges.

I love my 60" 1080p Panasonic plasma, but I started looking at displays to help a friend of mine. I saw a 4K HD LED that looked pretty darn good. But, I understand that later this year they (Samsung?) are releasing a 4K OLED. It will be pricy, but the picture is suppose to be spectacular.

Of course in the beginning the price will out shine the monitor, but hopefully the cost will be in line when it is time for me to replace my Panny.

Hot Monkey said:
Scott,

My 55" Samsung LED Light Engine DLP died which is how I wound up with the Panasonic plasma. Otherwise I would still be watching it and really liked it. Wish they still made them. My next (primary) display will just have to be front projection unless something new and promising emerges.

I have the 67" version of the same TV you had.

Back