• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Thinking about adding a second BR player...........

Towen7 said:
Why would you want S video on a modern BD player?

Or composite? Profit margins being what they are, eliminating old technology outlets saves a few pennies & takes up less rear panel space.

Yesfan70 said:
jomari said:
........the 310s also got dual hdmis.......

That I don't get. I think it makes total sense on a pre/pro and receiver, but not on a source component. I think, imo, they should have added a component video output in place of the 2nd HDMI.

The 310 doesn't even have freaking S-video. :angry-banghead:

from what their marketing, this is going to be for 'legacy avrs' (i cant believe thats what they're calling old), and for the display unit.

good scenario is
hdmi 1 - 3d display or projector or what not...
hdmi 2 - for the avr (audio end)

what i was trying to do was
use the hdmi 1 - for the display unit (no 3d crap, ust want to use the tv for both sound and display)

hdmi 2 - for audio end.

ideally, i was not going to need to change anything or what not...

but since the audio cant work without disabling the hdmi 2 video aspect, it wont allow the avr to decode the signal properly.

so im stuck with my tv set at hdmi 3, and just have the avr handle the audio afterwards. (fwiw, the tvs connected to the avr using the hdmi4 connection)...

did i want other connections available? yup. id love to have a svideo at least to use...

jomari said:
did i want other connections available? yup. id love to have a svideo at least to use...

Really?
S-video?
At least?
Talk about stretching the life expectancy. This hobby is about moving forward. Hoping for legacy connections, especially three generations old, is kinda silly.

Yesfan70 said:
jomari said:
........the 310s also got dual hdmis.......

That I don't get. I think it makes total sense on a pre/pro and receiver, but not on a source component. I think, imo, they should have added a component video output in place of the 2nd HDMI.

The 310 doesn't even have freaking S-video. :angry-banghead:

Like Jomari stated, it's for the lossless audio and 3D playback. My receiver will not pass through the 3d signal, so one hdmi output is for the 3d to the tv, and one is for the receiver to be able to playback lossless audio.

I get that but I still find it odd that someone would want lossless audio with S-video.

i agree, it sounds silly, but considering that id love to have two options,
1. full throttle movie theater mode
2. 'streaming watching an episode of top shot' without the AVR mode, with plain jane tv speakers.

s-video would be my preference, knowing that somehow, its better than the analog RCA cable I CAN use.

considering the situations indicated above, and that i dont have an AVR that can do hdmi passthrough, you tell me what my options are with minimal purchases or upgrades.

as much as this hobby is about moving forward, id still consider why most of us have older components integrated within what we already have. not everyone can afford to jump on an oppo blu-ray player, or purchase a new AVR on the fly.

I can't afford any of those things either. Im no gear snob just a realist.

If you just gotta have one device that lives in two or three eras than I wish you luck. In my experience your far better off keeping two sources than trying to find a single jack off all trades. Either way you go that's going to mean making sacrifices (like anything else).

Jomari, I'm a little confused. How are you getting audio from the 310 to the AVR? I don't understand "...let the AVR handle the audio afterwards".

John

yromj said:
Jomari, I'm a little confused. How are you getting audio from the 310 to the AVR? I don't understand "...let the AVR handle the audio afterwards".

John

bedroom is setup with

TV -> HDMI 4 -> AVR
AVR connections have four HDMI ports
-> Hdmi 1 - philips dvd player
-> Hdmi 2 - Tosh HD-DVD player
-> Hdmi 3 - PS3
-> Hdmi 4 - 310... (HDMI connection A)

by default, id be able to use the 310 and watch via TV->HDMI4->AVR set to HDMI 4...

but since the 310 has an EXTRA connection, ive opted to connect it to the TV directly, using another hdmi connection.

TV -> HDMI 3 -> 310 (hdmi connection B)

so, in order for me to have lossless tho, the video aspect of hdmi connection A has to be disabled.

Thus, wanting to utilize the AVR while watching a blu-ray id have to have
TV - HDMI 3 settings (for video - volume muted)
AVR -> HDMI 4

no biggy, its just a workaround for an AVR with no passthrough capability.

hope this helps.

So, you ARE able to use the dual outputs on the blu-ray player to pass video (with audio that you mute) to the TV and lossless audio to the AVR, correct? That's what I'm ultimately trying to figure out.

John

yromj said:
So, you ARE able to use the dual outputs on the blu-ray player to pass video (with audio that you mute) to the TV and lossless audio to the AVR, correct? That's what I'm ultimately trying to figure out.

John

yes sir! different input, but ultimately, it works. if ever i had 3D it would do that too. :happy-smileygiantred:

are you planning on using it with your pj?

No, I was just curious if you could use the two HDMIs that way (one for audio one for video). It's VERY cool that you can do that.

John

yeah, well, it works as you mentioned, but an afterthought would be if i can acheive such for a lesser pricepoint. i havent attempted it, nor will due to buyers remorse. :happy-smileygiantred:

i think this would be acheivable using an HDMI splitter, no? using the same signal split into the audio into the AVR and the video to the pj.

my living room pj never encountered that challenge since i have an older non hdmi AVR, and the pj just needed the hdmi connection.

it was pretty much an impulse buy, replacing the roku 2 xs we bought recently.

its my last purchase i hope. :liar:

Yeah... an HDMI splitter would send full audio/video from a single input to two separate outputs. I was going to suggest that but since you made it clear you weren't interested in spending any more money... I didn't. On my Samsung player with both component/optical and HDMI, both are active at the same time. I was able to use one player for two rooms. The HDMI output went to my pre/pro for the livng room and the component/optical went to the receiver for the bedroom. Worked great.

Towen7 said:
Yeah... an HDMI splitter would send full audio/video from a single input to two separate outputs. I was going to suggest that but since you made it clear you weren't interested in spending any more money... I didn't. On my Samsung player with both component/optical and HDMI, both are active at the same time. I was able to use one player for two rooms. The HDMI output went to my pre/pro for the livng room and the component/optical went to the receiver for the bedroom. Worked great.

no worries bud. i never thought it would work tho... i never thought it would be possible since that is one reason why hdmi was made for, the whole licensing thing et al.

so, the samsung player sends TWO signals right?
hdmi - living room
component/optical for bedroom?

hmm, i could have easily done that too with my blu-ray player -
hdmi - avr
component/analog - tv (aint the best quality, but it works right?)

nonetheless, i guess im also trying to justifying this purchase too, that i 'need' this...

oh, to top it off, we essentially wanted this because the GF wanted me to utilize the amazon prime free movies etc...

HDMI splitters are kinda wonky and cause as many problems as they fix. I used a 4x2 matrix switch (<$100 from monoprice) to share 4 inputs with two displays with pretty good success. Every now and then I had to power-cycle the switch or component to get them all "handshaking" but overall it was money well spent.

Back