• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

This is amusing

Power Cables
If any cable is not capable of providing the current needed for the component, then it will make a difference to replace it with a cable which can supply the current being demanded of it.

If any manufacturer were to sell an amplifier with a cable incapable of providing the required current, we need to find the person responsible for that stupid decision and burn them at the stake. The difference between a low resistance 15A AC cable and too high a resistance 15A AC cable is, like, 10 cents in bulk.

So, the science and logic being used is absolutely true --- a cable insufficient in providing all the current needed (causing a voltage drop significant enough to be a problem) is unacceptable and a better cable can remedy that. I would love to see a measurement of the voltage drop on an amplifier's input AC voltage to see evidence that any stock power cord does not supply the required current and thus causes a voltage drop. It would be extremely easy to capture that data and would prove their point immediately. Where is that measurement?

Speaker Cables
As for speaker cables, again, the scientific logic is 100% corrent! If the difference between the cable for Speaker A and the cable for Speaker B is so great as to significantly alter the performance of the speaker, then there is a real problem. Matching the length of the cable would remedy that issue.

However, considering the components in the crossover are most likely assured to be within only 5% of each other (allowing for a 10% difference between cap A and cap B), then having a cable with a LCR difference of 5% should be fine. For a 14AWG speaker cable, that's like a difference of 10 feet to 200 feet. It doesn't hurt to have matching cable lengths, and it probably makes the user happy to match the cable lengths - especially a type-A user like most of these guys. But having one cable be 25 feet and another 12 feet in length isn't significant enough to matter.

I am one of those type-A sorts of enthusiasts who not only has matching cable lengths for my stereo speakers, I place the amps right next to my speakers and use 10AWG cable for a 2 ft run fromthe amp to the speaker. It is absolute overkill, I know, but my paranoia over the cable being at all responsible for the sound being degraded haunts me every day. I don't recommend everyone do what I do though, because I know I am a freak on this matter and overkill is my middle name.

One last quote from the discussion on the other forum:

But, when I swapped out my Bluejean cable interconnects with a pair of Audioquest King Cobra interconnects, I heard the soundstage open up, and the high end lose a touch of grain.

And a thanks to all that have responded. I actually learned some things - guess you are never too old.

mzpro5 said:

I heard the soundstage open up, and the high end lose a touch of grain.

And a thanks to all that have responded. I actually learned some things - guess you are never too old.

I don't even know what that quote means.

jamhead said:
mzpro5 said:

I heard the soundstage open up, and the high end lose a touch of grain.

I don't even know what that quote means.

Thanks I thought it was me.

Yesfan70 said:
Not just you, I don't get that quote either. WTF is he saying??

This is a guy that seems to have bought into the snake oil cable thing hook, line and sinker. He has to make these things up just to justify all the money he has wasted.

Won't get Blue Jean cables because they "make his system sound flat". WTF.

I directed him here to join and get involved so he could learn something but he already know it all so I doubt we will see him.

And as Rope has said I learned my lesson and will not get involved in these types of threads on other forums - every swinging dick out there thinks he knows HT/AV because he got a system from BB.

I have heard over the years that Best Buy allows Monster Cable to train their sales staff more than once per week, on average. So, you take people who know a little or nothing about audio and video technology then allow someone like Monster to brainwash them ceaselessly and you endup with a bunch of missionaries selling the faith of the wire and power products.

90 - 95% if what a user will hear (sinewave) is generated by speakers and the acoustic properties of the area they interface with. For my money, I choose to direct my efforts to the 90 -95 %. If people are so inclined to spend thousands of dollars dick'n around with the 5 - 10%, more power to them.

I'd bet two-bits to a dog turd and hold the stakes in my mouth, there's not one of those snake oil salesman that would subject themselves to a cable ABX, since they would fail miserably for the entire cable industry to see. Not to mention the consumers they hoodwink into purchasing bullshit cables.

Rope

Zing said:
It may be time to revisit this thread. I had an absolute ball trying to get a semi-intelligent answer out of the people who sell these cables. I never did get it but boy it sure was fun trying.

Zing,

Another angle worth pursuing...

In any industry, and especially in one involving "technology," success can be largely dependent on your intellectual property (IP) assets. In one of the posts in the thread that you refer to, your adversary talks about these cable companies having teams of engineers and scientists working diligently to find new ways of improving their products.

If we eliminate a few irrelevant forms of IP (like copyright and industrial design) and assume that they are not relying on trade secret (since it's pretty easy to actually see their product in great detail) then that really only leaves patents.

So one should be able to do a patent search to determine who has patented what. You could even see what company holds what patents.

It would be very telling, one way or the other, to see what, if any, patents have actually been granted to them. (Snake oil is not patentable. I have enough trouble getting my half dozen non-snake oil filings a year past the incredibly thorough US Patent Office's examiners.) And by the by, for those who don't know, you CAN put what amounts to snake oil in your recitals in your patent filing, but that means nothing. It's only the part after "now therefore we claim..." that matters. I once had a crazy inventor who claimed to have a patent on a device that could instantaneously teleport you anywhere in the universe. Hmmm. For fun I looked up his name and dang nabbit he did; well not really. He did have a patent on a capacitance changing device (at least the way I read it) and the patent did mention teleportation. But the teleportation was talked about in the recitals and the capacitance changing in the actual claims. The twain did not meet.)

As I said, it would be very interesting to see what patents these cable companies hold, and what claims they've managed to get by the examiner.

No patents would set my snake oil detector ringing even louder.

Jeff

Back