• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Tower of Power - 40th Anniversary!

Botch

MetaBotch Doggy Dogg Mellencamp
Superstar
This one deserved its own thread.

About five years ago WHN (What's-Her-Name, the ex-GF) and I saw Tower of Power up at the Park City Ampitheater (possibly the best outdoor music venue in the world) and had a rollicking good time, and they announced they were on their 40th-anniversary (!!!) tour, and a DVD of their show would be forthcoming. I watched for it on Amazon for a long, long time, and it never came out; I eventually forgot about it. After setting up my preferences on Pandora a couple days ago, it started playing a bunch of cool songs, including a ToP tune. Light bulb flickered on, I hit Amazon, and it finally came out last year! :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:

61p1tMRiuvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They recorded their show in San Francisco (why not Oakland?) and had invited all their alumni, I think there were more former members guesting than current (and ToP is a BIG band)!! The playing so far is incredible, time hasn't slowed these guys one iota (although "Doc" Kupka could probably forego the dance moves) :angelic-green: Garibaldi and Rocco have a deeper pocket than Mitt's Super PAC, I may wear a hole in the carpeting tapping my foot so hard. Something else that impresses me about ToP (Steely Dan is like this too): SO many musicians playing at once (up to four keyboardists, three guitarists, four drummers, and so many horns I have to take off my shoe to count them all) and yet there's space in between the notes, air!! Tasty, tasty playing!! (I've been in too many bands with one guitar player, Marshall up to Eleven, reverb on 6 and 1.5-sec delay, not a crack in that wall of sound to be found (why do they even want a keyboardist? It wasn't for my looks)). Oooh, and how can you not love a zebra-striped tenor?!?! :music-rockout:

The recording, and 5.1 mix, are great. But how quickly I got spoiled, so wish this was a bluray rather than a DVD (at least its 16:9). I wish I'd read a few of the reviews on Amazon before ordering: one guy bought both the CD and this DVD; the CD has this identical DVD packaged with it, for the same price of $15! :angry-tappingfoot: (prolly just as well, I hit too many pedestrians when I play ToP in the truck...)

Here's a teaser; Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjJob34brz4[/youtube]

:banana-rock: :bow-blue: :banana-rock: :bow-blue: :banana-rock: :bow-blue: :banana-rock:

I love these guys! I only own 2 or 3 of their CDs (they have about 40) but could easily and comfortably buy a dozen more.

I look into this one, Botch. Thanks for the tip.

I've got whatever album it is that they have a chicken leg and a lightning bolt. It's good stuff.

Thanks for sharing Botch! I had never heard of them, but love their type of music. I will be ordering some of their cd's off of Amazon!

Back