• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Ultraviolet Issues

MatthewB

Grandmaster Pimp Daddy
Famous
Okay so today I sit down to stream the movie "X-Men" on my PS3 now I currently have three apps that can stream my UV movies. Vudu, Cinema Now (a Best Buy app) and Flixster. While watching on Cinema Now I noticed something interesting. Half of my HD movies would NOT play in surround sound while the other half would. I have Cinema Now playing via my PS3 to my Marantz AV7005 preamp and noticed my center channel amp wouldn't detect a signal even when I changed surround formats on my preamp. Just plain stereo even though the preamp detected "Multi Channel In" and I had selected Multi Channel In + PL IIx Movie all I would get is stereo.

So then I switched to the Vudu app and streamed "X-Men" and Lo and behold the Vudu app had Dolby Digital Plus surround and my center channel amp lit up and was finally getting surround sound. I find it strange how I can upload the movie to the cloud and it appears on all three of my accounts but Cinema Now won't play surround on half my movies.

Another issue is there are a couple movies like "X-Men 2" which loaded onto Vudu but didn't load onto Flixster or Cinema Now. Has anyone also had issues with movies not being stored on the cloud in some programs but loaded w unto others?

Looks like Vudu is going to be my goto app to use.

You aren't uploading the movie to the cloud. Your uploading your license to stream THEIR copy from the cloud.

I gave up on using Cinema Now and Flixter for playback awhile ago. I use Vudu exclusively because it has the best picture and sound quality, works on the most devices and is the most reliable. I pretty much hate Wal-Mart, but I have to admit to loving Vudu.

I currently have 151 HDX movies on the cloud (adding more all the time). I'm starting to wonder what to do with all my Blurays. Granted the audio is better on Bluray but the ease of just turning on my player choosing the Vudu app and picking a movie is getting better than pulling out the disc, that and my PS3 generate very little heat using the app as compared to running a disc. I just wished more of my collection of older movies was available to upload to the cloud. How "Blazing Saddles" is not available is unthinkable and no "The Princess Bride" ....INCONCEIVABLE !!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I wish the rest of the studios would get on board with UV and disc-to-digital. I've got just over 200 movies available in Vudu now. The 50% off deal ends on the 31st. I get paid on the 30th and plan to do one last big batch of movies (probably 40-50) before the promo ends. I own roughly a thousand discs. That only a quarter of my collection is convertible is a little sad, but that's how it is right now. In fairness, at least a quarter of my collection is Anime and Asian Cinema. I also have a decent number of TV series (which are not eligible either). It is the fact that I cannot convert anything owned by Disney or MGM that is the real drag.

Thanks for the reminder Haywood just "upgraded" about 30 DVDs to HDX (so now I don't have to buy the Blurays). Still a shame some great movies aren't uploadable to the cloud.

I just started plowing through my classic movie collection and a lot of them are available for disc-to-digital conversion to HDX. This rocks considering I have a bunch of those four movie classics collections that I paid $5-10 for on DVD. I'm going to do the rest of those, then go through all the non-Disney family movies, the Christmas movies and a quick run-through the rest of my collection to see if I missed anything. At that point, I should be done with all of the eligible movies that I don't have to haul down to Wal-Mart. I'm expecting to be north of 250 films by the time I'm done.

In the meantime, I'm scooping up piles of recent releases for $5/ea from those websites I mentioned. This is letting me acquire legal copies of a lot of the movies I got off the torrents at very reasonable prices. Today I bought the pretty decent CGI animated flick Epic.

Back