• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Unauthorized Restoration of Star Wars

Puts his eye patch on............

I reckoning one more version be added to me collection. Arg!

Apparently Team Negative 1 have made it available in true 1080p (1920 x 1080) as a .mkv (mp4) file that's 21.8 GB in size.

Flint don't be teasing me I still kept one HD-DVD player for a couple choice movies.

It's got a 256 kbps stereo soundtrack. The picture has all the grain and softness you'd expect with a 35mm print shown in a full theatre.

The restorers obviously focused on cleaning up dirt and artifacts, getting the colour right, and presenting the same frames as were seen in the original 35mm release.

So give it an "A" for authenticity.

However I recall seeing this version as an original release in 70mm and hearing the 6 track audio the first time I saw it in a theatre (the old Nelson Cinema in Ottawa), so it is less than what I first remember it being, both sight and especially sound (which I'd describe as flat and non-dynamic).

Jeff

This might be a little different, but you can buy copies of the DVD that now have both the "enhanced" versions of the movies plus the original unaltered versions of the movies -- Link

Also, there is a "despecialized" version that was edited together from many sources to get back to the unaltered version of the film -- Link. To actually get to the place where you can download the original version is a bit more complicated, but it is out there. They at least make an effort to be respectful in that they ask that you own a DVD version of the movie and that you don't sell it to anyone.

Back