• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Wham! Technics is back!!!

Cool!! Before I REALLY got into this hobby, I cut my teeth on Technics electronics. My Uncle had a girlfriend who's family had a Panasonic retail location and they always hooked me up with great deals on Panasonic TVs, and Technics receivers, CD players, speakers etc...sometimes I miss the simplicity of those set ups but they definitely had a ceiling at which point they simply couldn't compete with the big boys. I still buy almost exclusively Panasonic displays though.

For nearly a decade the Technics brand was synonymous with quality and value. They performed better than nearly anything in the same price range and they were aimed at the upper midrange market. However, as the market started crashing they ruined the brand by putting it on cheaper and cheaper crap until it didn't mean anything. It got so bad they just stopped using it.

my first amplifier were technics.

scratch that.

my DADS first amplifier where technics. :happy-smileygiantred:

I was making most of my purchases from around 1988-98. I purchased my last Technics A/V Receiver with an included OUTboard DD/DTS decoder. I purchased it with some of our wedding money along with a Boston VR series micro speaker system. Then about 5 months later I purchased a 56" Panasonic rear projection HDTV (their second HD set ever), -B- and I had to disassemble it to twist it down the stairs of our townhouse.

You mean once popular 80's singers and the brand are back?

whambig.jpg
6282389352_cab22c6468_m.jpg

My first 'decent' audio purchase was a Technics SA-410 receiver in 1983. It is at my parents' place hooked up to the ML ReQuests. They use it frequently.

Cool. Neat to see a new, fairly mainstream line coming back.

Yesfan70 said:
I still have my Technics Turntable, a SL-BD20
It's turntables that come to mind when I think Technics, and more specifically the SL1200 - a real quality workhorse.

JeffMackwood said:
Yesfan70 said:
I still have my Technics Turntable, a SL-BD20
It's turntables that come to mind when I think Technics, and more specifically the SL1200 - a real quality workhorse.
My first was a SL-BD -something...
I had a home-made, 3-shelf CD cabinet mounted to the wall just above it, secured by two brads.
Slightly-undersized brads. Once the shelves were full, they (the brads) gradually bent downward and, in the middle of the night before I had to launder my bedsheets, my entire CD collection fell and destroyed my Technics turntable.

The irony...

Botch said:
My first was a SL-BD -something...
I had a home-made, 3-shelf CD cabinet mounted to the wall just above it, secured by two brads.
Slightly-undersized brads. Once the shelves were full, they (the brads) gradually bent downward and, in the middle of the night before I had to launder my bedsheets, my entire CD collection fell and destroyed my Technics turntable.

The irony...

:laughing-rolling:

Batman said:
I was making most of my purchases from around 1988-98. I purchased my last Technics A/V Receiver with an included OUTboard DD/DTS decoder. I purchased it with some of our wedding money along with a Boston VR series micro speaker system. Then about 5 months later I purchased a 56" Panasonic rear projection HDTV (their second HD set ever), -B- and I had to disassemble it to twist it down the stairs of our townhouse.

I think that was my first 5.1 setup as well, although I don't remember the outboard doing DTS, just DD, but I could be wrong. Would have been 1996 or 1997.

Huey this is the combo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 658
Batman said:
Huey this is the combo.

Mine looked similar, but the display I think had greenish writing. Seems like I paid around $500 for the combo.

My first CD player was a Technics. Mom and Dad bought one for my brother and one for me (with help from my friends) for Christmas, 1985 or so. It lasted many years before it was replaced with my NAD 5325 which still works but in retirement.

Back