• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What Are You Listening To?

I’ve been listening to Redd Kross.

For some reason I guess I always thought they were rappers. Not the teenage punkers and later somewhat alternative rockers they became. The band name “Redd Kross” never sounded particularly cool to me as a kid. And there was no internet so it wasn’t as easy as “googling” to find out more about them. Anyway…. For what it‘s worth I don’t love their stuff. But a song here and there I like.

I will admit. Back in the day, I was NOT a big fan of Hall and Oates. Fast forward ....decades. I am a big fan of Daryl's House. Combine it with my absolute love of Squeeze and you get this!!

New video paired up to the "new" Beatles song. Beautiful, but for whatever reason it gave me the creeps. Also made me think of the video for the actual new Stones tune, where AI is used to animate them from many earlier periods.

The "Professor of Rock" ewetube channel just reviewed Dire Straits' third album Making Movies, and I learned one of the 4 songs cut from the record was Twistin' by the Pool (rightly, as it didn't fit the rest of the album) but boy did it bring a smile to my face, got a few past bands to learn this and it always packed the dance floor. Enjoy!

vr4wi83ncobm.jpg

I kinda stopped following KC after Belew left; heard a couple tracks on ewetube and decided to find this one (no, I didn't pay the current amazoid price :eek: ).
Levin is in on bass/Stick, I don't recognize the others (one's a horn player) but the arpeggios are gone; Tony is just growling in the lower register (a beautiful thing) and Fripp is doing mostly frippertronics here (lots of guitar loops/echoes and tone mods, but no rhythmic arpeggios). Good "lights out and turn it up" music.
It's a two-disc set, the second disc has a 5.1-Surround mix, an alt stereo mix of the album, a few outtakes and a "feature film".

Thela hun Gingeet, from their original "TGI Fridays" performance; much better recording than I've seen before. Gawd I loved this band!

Gabriel.jpg

This dropped a couple weeks ago, only now been listening to it. PG's first new release in, what, 22 years?!?
There's a thread on another forum about older rock musicians who should hang it up, with some hilarious/very sad live video examples from Vince Neil, David Lee Roth, and even Brittney Spears that are truly horrid-sounding.
Peter Gabriel is 72 years old. You canNOT hear it, on this album; he sounds fantastic, and the music sounds fresh and as relevant as ever. This CD set actually has two copies of the album, each mixed/produced by a different team. I'm just learning the "Bright Side Mix" and that'll take a couple weeks; then I'll listen to the "Dark Side Mix" and maybe post my thoughts later.
Peter released a lot of the songs, singly, on EweTube over the past year; I only listened to the BSM of "PanOpticon", and decided not to listen to anything else and be surprised when the album was actually released (so, if you're curious you can listen to some of the tracks free). He will be touring in '24, with most of his usual band (including Manu Katché on drums, Darryl Sturmer on guitar, and in-his-eighties Tony Levin on bass/Stick). If they come as close as Denver/Phoenix, it may be worth a road trip for me.

They don't make music like this any more... well, some do. :bouncygrin:

Another recent KC video that I was unfamiliar with.
In the latter years of me playing live, I refused to even audition with any band that had two or more guitar players, it was always just an audio mess. Yet, here, two guitarists and (horror of horrors!) THREE drummers!! Yet, the interplay and the space, is just magical. It's an odd tune, but I know it like the back of my hand, and this 8-piece version of KC does it justice. Really a fun listen, at least for me.

Haven't seen anything from Pomplamoose in a long time; here's Nuclear Kittens. I don't speak French but I could listen to her sing it all day.

Jacob Collier plays with himself!

I've been an active musician, and visited innumerable music stores, but I've yet to see/play with a steel drum (they have such an exotic sound!). Here, Jacob hits one a bit, but it's inverted, and it looks like the different "notes" are actually cut away from the total "wok" shape. That makes so much more sense to me; every other video I've seen it looks like the "wok" just had flattened areas for different notes, which physically didn't make any sense to me.
Perspective...

omgwtfbbq.
The Man In The Brown Shorts™ should be bringing this CD to me tomorrow, but this track just came out on EweTube. It's been a long, long time since I've had tears running down my cheeks. Ho-Lee-Chit Batman!

There is another video on the 'tube, 2 hours long, where Jacob explains how the whole track came together, over years and yet mostly over 3 days!!! This kid's a Monster!

The Lemon Twigs.

They’ve got a handful of songs that I really like. (For now, at least.) I suspect that the novelty of playing retro music that’s heavy on homages might not—oh, how should I say?– keep them in my thoughts long term. No matter how well it’s played. But for now, in this fleeting moment, I’m really enjoying the music.

People keep saying Jellyfish. Don’t know if I would’ve picked up on that one myself. But people probably ain’t wrong since one of the singers in Lemon Twigs definitely sings a bit like Robert Joseph Manning, Jr. Who in turn I think sometimes sounds a bit like Bruce Johnston from the Beach Boys a la “Disney Girls” fwiw.

Right now I’ve just been streaming The Lemon Twigs on Spotify and YouTube. But I’ve got some cash just sitting in my Apple account doing nothing, so I think I’ll buy some of my favorite songs of theirs as downloads form the iTunes store. Kind of make my own greatest hits.

Back