• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

What is the best sound out of PS3 for my setup?

BrianZ

I use my PS3 as both my movie and CD player. I send the HDMI to the TV but I only have analog input on my old HK 3480 2 ch receiver so I use the AV Multi cable that came with the PS3 to send the analog audio to my receiver. I usually mute the TV audio and get all my sound from the full hifi system. Am I sacrificing audio quality with this arrangement? The option I'm considering is to upgrade my receiver to the HK 3490 or HK 3770 because they have digital inputs (coax and optical). as I understand it the questions boils down to:

- is the PS3 DAC and better or worse than the HK receiver?
- how good is the quality of the PS3's AV Multi out cable?

(and i have essentially the same question about audio quality going from my TV & cable box to my stereo)

BrianZ said:
I use my PS3 as both my movie and CD player. I send the HDMI to the TV but I only have analog input on my old HK 3480 2 ch receiver so I use the AV Multi cable that came with the PS3 to send the analog audio to my receiver. I usually mute the TV audio and get all my sound from the full hifi system. Am I sacrificing audio quality with this arrangement? The option I'm considering is to upgrade my receiver to the HK 3490 or HK 3770 because they have digital inputs (coax and optical). as I understand it the questions boils down to:

- is the PS3 DAC and better or worse than the HK receiver?
- how good is the quality of the PS3's AV Multi out cable?

(and i have essentially the same question about audio quality going from my TV & cable box to my stereo)

I'm going to say

!) That's to be determined. If you're HK lacks digital inputs, then the comparison is moot. Once you get the new receiver, then do a comparison. If you're getting a new receiver I would bank on the newer HK having the better DACs.

2) The PS3's AV cable is not better or worse than the stereo cables you get with other source components.

I don't think you're sacrificing audio quality if you're having to use what you have (TV with audio out, receiver with no digital ins). Once you get a new receiver, then you can route everything to it, TV and all and let it do all the switching. Until you upgrade, just sit back and enjoy it.

I don think there would be an audible difference between the two DACs in normal listening environments.

Thanks for the input, fellas. I mean it sounds great with the AV Multi through my HK 3480 and Paradigm Studio 20 2.1 setup, no doubt. Guess I just had one of those "could it sound even better?" moments of weakness.

and btw, i've read some less than stellar stuff about the HK 3770 (the model replacing the 3490). looking like it might be kinda shitty. so even if i do give in to upgrade-itis i'll be seeking a gently used 3490 for sure.

Nothing against Harmon Kardon, but they aren't the only ones making a/v receivers. Have you looked at other brands? There might be something else that gives you what you want for the money.

Yesfan70 said:
Nothing against Harmon Kardon, but they aren't the only ones making a/v receivers. Have you looked at other brands? There might be something else that gives you what you want for the money.

i did, albeit very briefly. there really don't seem to be that many anymore. Outlaw was the standout, but it's more expensive and frankly i don't like how they look. as for the H/K 3xx0 series: less expensive, very well reviewed, i like the minimalist design and i really like (and am used to) the sound. plus my wife already knows how to use it. :)

and gently used ones come up fairly regularly for about $250.

Back