• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

whole house audio, products and zones/sources question

CMonster said:
Personally, I wired a couple different zones for audio when we built our house seven years ago and pretty much never used them. I've since disconnected the speakers in one room and totally removed the speakers from another. But if you need a Squeezebox, let me know ;)

Thanks for the offer. I do like squeezebox's as well. I was just hoping to do a clean install that looks "built in". I know on the Sonos forums people have run ceiling speakers to one of their hubs/bridges. Can squeezebox be linked like that too?

I don't know if you're still looking or not, but the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread was a Sonos system. I am VERY impressed with this system. It's one of those thing that "Just works". It's very scalable, flexible, and easy to install.

John

So I have completed my review of the products out there, and I had initially chosen A-bus by Russound, but going through a local dealer proved to be quite expensive. I could have bought via eBay but if I ever had an issue with the equipment I could have had issues with support.

So I ended up going with more of an integrated solution from Legrand that behaves like A-bus for audio (amps built into 1-gang boxes in the bedrooms) I also got an intercom system, 1 per level, and cameras can be integrated as well (so I bought 2 of those). I also got a distributor price on it due to my dad's business, so it ended up being cheaper than the Russound.

here's a link to the general idea of the system: http://www.legrand.us/home-automation.aspx#.Uic30DZwqVM

I liked that everything was standardized on cat5 cable, and no professional programming is required.

So I do like the setup for the audio, as it's really just for background music. I bought a Sonos at Xmas time, and that's been a really nice edition; just turn on a keypad, it remembers the last "source" you had selected, so I just plugged the Sonos into one source input and control the queue from smartphone/tablet.

I bought a video doorbell/LCD unit/ and some Intercoms as well, and they do work but I haven't fully implemented the system yet (caught up in basement now!) as I still have some security cameras to install, and one set of speakers aren't working yet so I have to troubleshoot.

....all in good time :) Thanks to al for the feedback along the way. Once I get everything running again, maybe I'll shoot a quick youtube video on how the system works together.

Back