• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Why most sports broadcasts are not in 4K

This is getting even more interesting.
During the SB I toggled between Standard, Cinema, Vivid, and iMax Enhanced picture qualities. Vivid was hideous, but the other three, were pretty much equivalent that I could see, could only see a slight shift in color between Standard and Cinema. I was also (I'll admit this publicly now) just a bit disappointed in the overall pic quality, it really didn't look that much better than my 13-year-old LG did (it was an LED with local dimming, and the blacks on that set looked superb).
Anyhoo, I had to watch ABC nat'l news tonight, CBS was playing some stupid golf thing. I got distracted by something else, and soon there is some hockey game on the TV (ABC via EweTube TV).
The. Picture. Is. STUNNING!!! This was what I was seeing in the brick-n-mortar, now finally in my living room. And now I can see the difference between the HD, and the 4K cameras used (as described in my OP above). The "interview" camera, along with the "main" play camera at the mid-court rink point, are definitely a better quality than the crowd shots or the goalie angles. The black uniforms just pop against the bright white ice; this is cool!
I still can't see much of a difference between Standard, Cinema or iMax, but that's okay. I now have to figure out how to get my AVR to talk to the TV, my setup is a real pain to get to the connections compared to the Bat's, Tom's, and Chuck's systems.

This is getting even more interesting.
During the SB I toggled between Standard, Cinema, Vivid, and iMax Enhanced picture qualities. Vivid was hideous, but the other three, were pretty much equivalent that I could see, could only see a slight shift in color between Standard and Cinema. I was also (I'll admit this publicly now) just a bit disappointed in the overall pic quality, it really didn't look that much better than my 13-year-old LG did (it was an LED with local dimming, and the blacks on that set looked superb).
Anyhoo, I had to watch ABC nat'l news tonight, CBS was playing some stupid golf thing. I got distracted by something else, and soon there is some hockey game on the TV (ABC via EweTube TV).
The. Picture. Is. STUNNING!!! This was what I was seeing in the brick-n-mortar, now finally in my living room. And now I can see the difference between the HD, and the 4K cameras used (as described in my OP above). The "interview" camera, along with the "main" play camera at the mid-court rink point, are definitely a better quality than the crowd shots or the goalie angles. The black uniforms just pop against the bright white ice; this is cool!
I still can't see much of a difference between Standard, Cinema or iMax, but that's okay. I now have to figure out how to get my AVR to talk to the TV, my setup is a real pain to get to the connections compared to the Bat's, Tom's, and Chuck's systems.
Does your 13 year old Yammie AVR have hdmi? Maybe you wanna crack open that moldy wallet again and replace it as well. In for a penny in for a pound!! You're retired!!! Live a little!!

It has 4 HDMI Outs, I need to try one of the other outputs, and try the Oppo player direct to the TV, to find the other broken link.
My 1979 Yamaha receiver still works fine; I'm not happy when something expensive won't last 13 years. :(

It has 4 HDMI Outs, I need to try one of the other outputs, and try the Oppo player direct to the TV, to find the other broken link.
My 1979 Yamaha receiver still works fine; I'm not happy when something expensive won't last 13 years. :(
Do you mean HDMI inputs? What is the model of the Yammie?

Is your yamaha 13 years old? If you're feeding the signal to the yamaha and then to the tv, you may not be getting full resolution if your receiver is that old.

Back