• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Why Oppo?

TKoP

In the real world, what does Oppo have that my Panasonic Blu-Ray doesn't?

I could read the information/propaganda on their respective websites, but figured I'd get a more untarnished version here..

When your Panasonic (and I'm a fan of that brand) gives problems, and its out of warranty, and you send it back to them, I doubt they'll clean the lens, update the firmware, test everything, then send it back to you gratis.
But they might. :mrgreen:

Any bit-perfect player will provide video performance equal to any Oppo. Ditto so long as you're talking audio through HDMI.

Oppo used to differentiate itself via "universal" players, but now that even $79 Sony's offer SACD (and if you don't need DVD-A capability) then that's a wash.

It still differentiates itself on the analogue audio front - but if you're just passing 1's and 0's via HDMI that's a wash.

And even Oppo will admit that it's latest and greatest is really all about the features - since on both the audio and video performance front it can't even differentiate that player from its own lesser-priced offerings.

Not saying they don't make great products. So long as you need (or want) what they're selling, you can't do better.

I'm sure their aftermarket support is great as well. (And I know first hand that Sony's absolutely sucks!) But I can dispose of a $79 Sony with little or no remorse if need be if it fails just after the warranty expires.

Jeff

(Not advocating for Sony. Substitute Panasonic or a host of other brands instead.)

Rope said:
Top Pick BD Players

This reference will provide the low down on the best Blu-ray disc players and the reviews will give the differences between them.

Rope
I've wondered the same thing . . . "why Oppo?"

Thanks for the link, Rope. (and input from the others)

Yea, me too.....

Will need to purchase a new Blu Ray player for the new HT and was considering Oppo, however probably will not after reading this thread.

thanks to T7, i truly appreciate my new panny 220. the 310 i had was double the cost, but man, second gen stuff definitely are better. it had better playback, no netflix problems, can play most of my files from a usb source, and well, its a beaut. id love to own a oppo one day, but id love to own a lot of other things in life too.

this shall suffice for a mediocre setup as mine.

Do people buy BluRay players anymore?

I realize I used to preach all the time about how it will be 2015 before people could get content online and replace the perfection of BluRay, but I think I was wrong.

Most people obviously don't give a rat's ass about quality, look at Amazon Instant Video and Netflix. Today over 90% of all internet traffic is being consumed by video and 75% of all wireless broadband (3G and 4G) is consumed by video. I am working on several multi-billion dollar projects which have the sole goal of reducing the amount of bandwidth needed for video streams in order to reduce congestion, offer higher quality in less bandwidth, and just get more out of the existing networks.

With video getting easier to download, with internet connections becoming ubiquitous, and with people prefer speed and simplicity over quality, I really don't see the point for being in the BluRay market anymore - at least in the USA.

So, when people ask me which BluRay player to get, I tell them to get whatever they want to pay for and it will be far better than they need 95% of the time. If that person is a dedicated audio/video lunatic like me, I will recommend a high end model for quality, performance, and reliability.

Just ordered the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3D Blu-ray Player from Amazon for $89........

Thanks for the recommendation!

:music-rockout: :music-rockout:

Flint said:
I really don't see the point for being in the BluRay market anymore - at least in the USA.
It's like vinyl player market. They are still around.

heeman said:
Just ordered the Panasonic DMP-BDT220 3D Blu-ray Player from Amazon for $89........

Congrats Heeman.

$89 makes it a great deal!

Jeff

heeman said:

Congrats.

I bought one from Amazon today for 79.99

:happy-smileygiantred:

Next up: Oppo 103!!!

My PS3 decided to freeze up on me, just when I brought home Steven Wilsons latest Blueray MC release. :angry-cussingblack:

I got it going, but just bought the BDT220 as a backup. ($79)

The oppo might be in my future, if I had a 1080P TV in my main HT.

Back