• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Wireless Audio Transmitters (not BlueTooth)

Towen7

Staff member
I'm looking for something that will take an analog audio signal and transmit it wirelessly to a receiver. I have a TV and wireless STBs on a cart I just need a way to get the audio back to a receiver to output on the patio and/or deck speakers.

It looks like the Outlaw Audio OAW4 (or older OAW3) would do the job. Does anyone have experience with these or suggestions for another solution?

Parts Express has a wireless audio system for rear channels + subwoofer by Dayton Audio. Not sure what price range you are looking for.

I had the original Outlaw unit and it worked just fine, never had an issue with it. At the old house I was sending a signal to a subwoofer about twenty feet away with a wall in between. @saldog should've gotten it in the mail yesterday so hopefully he'll have some input soon.

We get back from the east coast tomorrow, so I should be able to try it out soon. I believe Rocketfish sells something similar, available on Amazon.

We get back from the east coast tomorrow, so I should be able to try it out soon. I believe Rocketfish sells something similar, available on Amazon.

The only Rocketfish product I could find was one that also had an amplifier built into the receiving unit.
The Outlaw OAW4 is on sale for $99 so I just ordered one. I'm a little worried about interference since it uses 2.4Ghz and there are a LOT of neighboring 2.4Ghz networks that can be picked-up in my back yard.

Search 5.8GHZ transmitter on Ebay and Amazon. there are lots of options.

Thanks for the suggestion. As you said there were lots of options but most of the sub $100 ones had sketchy reviews, especially when used through a wall (or walls) as I am planning to do.

Update: The Outlaw system works well for our application (Thanks, Chuck!). I bought a pair of powered monitor speakers https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016P9HJIA/ Edifier R1280T. I set them up as Zone2, so i can control the volume independently. On the Yamaha receiver, i just hit "Party Mode" to have sound from the TV duplicated to Zone2. I put the speakers on top of our upper cabinets, and it works out well.

Thanks for the update.
The OWA4 arrived in the mail today. I probably won't get a change to twsr them until mid/late this week. They probably won't get much actual use unless we're hosting a good sized party and the weather is nice.

Just for fun I tried it out tonight. It's a simple, albeit expensive, way to give Bluetooth like connectivity to non Bluetooth devices. It's cheaper than buying a new receiver I guess.

I'm using it for a patio TV that is not connected to an AVR in the garage but the AVR is connected to speakers on the patio and deck. I can now roll this TV onto the deck and pipe it's sound to the for playback over the speakers. This will make poolside movies and football games a lot more enjoyable.

In theory one could use a transmitter and multiple receivers all tuned to the same channel and connected to cheap amplifiers to build a multi-room audio system.

Last edited:
Glad you found something that inexpensive. My first thought was Sonos but they ain't cheap.

John

Glad you found something that inexpensive. My first thought was Sonos but they ain't cheap.

John

I've got several Sonos devices and LOVE them. This was different. I have a TV on a rolling stand and want to be able to use it with the fixed speakers on the deck.

I've since added a soundbar to the cart so I've got a new plan for the Outlaw transmitter/receiver.

Back