• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

Haywood's New YouTube Channel

Haywood

Famous
I am making a series of instructional videos on the OpenPHT Plex client and Plex Media Server, starting with a basic end-user introduction aimed at helping my Dad learn how to use his new box. Future episodes will cover audio and video setup, WiFi setup, basic customization and more advanced configuration of the client. I will then move on to making how-to videos on some of the more advanced tips and tricks for Plex Media Server. Here is my first video:

You are my hero for creating these videos. I rely on YouTube for DIY stuff all the time, including things like seeing how to change the serpentine belt on my truck and remembering how to program my garage door opener with my wireless remotes.

I spent a LOT of time over the last couple of years learning what I now know about Plex and I would have killed for some good instructional videos. There were a couple out there, but they were super disorganized and involved listening to people ramble on and on for 25 minutes to cover material that should have taken five. I am trying very hard to keep my videos short and on-point. Any feedback on how to improve them is welcome.

i dont know what plex is. but im tagging this for future reference. thank you tho!

i dont know what plex is. but im tagging this for future reference. thank you tho!

Plex is probably the world's most popular media server. There are Plex clients for just about every imaginable device and the server itself runs on Windows, OSX, Linux, NVidia Shield, a router or two and a lot of NAS appliances. It has robust and mostly automated library management to make is simpler to organize and present your media. It makes your media accessible anywhere you have an internet connection, including on mobile devices. It also makes it possible to share your media with friends and family and has robust user management. That means you can restrict which libraries are available to which users, which is great for people with kids.

The complexity comes into play when you have a lot of content or have content that does not fit in the Movie, TV, Music, Photo or Home Video categories. Audio books and music videos are good examples. There can also be issues when dealing with obscure content not found in IMDB, The TVDB or Gracenote. If you want your library to look great on some clients, paying attention to artwork is also important. In other words, it is as much or as little work as you are willing to put in depending on the content you have. My personal library is heavily curated, but many people don't bother.

These particular videos focus on a specific Plex client. I'm sending a box to my Dad in California with this client embedded, so I cannot show him how it works in person or configure the audio and video settings. The initial set of videos will give him the information he needs to get up and running, but I'm not going to stop there.

subscribed!

wow, long videos dude, but will try to get the time to watch em all.

liked!

subscribed!

wow, long videos dude, but will try to get the time to watch em all.

liked!

The intro one is worth watching. The other two are a waste of time unless you actually need to set one of these up.

I am planning to buy an HDMI capture box, so I can do better demonstrations of how to set up clients with embedded operating systems. This will allow me to redo the Audio/Video setup video showing both versions of the setup procedure. My tentative plan is as follows:

1. Redo the Network setup video for embedded clients
2. Redo the A/V setup video for embedded clients
3. Make a video discussing the benefits of dedicated clients and the options available
4. Do an overview video on Plex Media Player
5. Do higher level overview of OpenPHT
6. Do a user interface overview video for the Aeon Nox skin like I did for Plex Black
7. Do a video on Plex Black customization and configuration
8. Do a video on Aeon Nox customization and configuration
9. Do a video on the broader Plex client universe

I'm also going to be working on another series
1. DVD Ripping
2. Blu-Ray Ripping - Basics
3. Blu-Ray Ripping - Forced Subtitles
4. Blu-Ray Ripping - Compression
5. Ripping TV Shows

As a marketing guy who makes a living at this online stuff, I recommend you break the tutorials down so each video isn't more than 3 to 7 minutes long. You could create a long video and post it for the people who want to study this tech thoroughly, then make shortened videos of each smaller topic for those who think they know what they are doing but are struggling with one aspect alone.

This will draw more people to watch your videos when they are seeking a quick answer to a problem which has been plaguing them, and it will earn you more subscribers and viewers leading to eventual revenue from YouTube. I also recommend you look into curated ads placed in your videos as popups. These will supplement your income from the ads YouTube places.

As a marketing guy who makes a living at this online stuff, I recommend you break the tutorials down so each video isn't more than 3 to 7 minutes long. You could create a long video and post it for the people who want to study this tech thoroughly, then make shortened videos of each smaller topic for those who think they know what they are doing but are struggling with one aspect alone.

This will draw more people to watch your videos when they are seeking a quick answer to a problem which has been plaguing them, and it will earn you more subscribers and viewers leading to eventual revenue from YouTube. I also recommend you look into curated ads placed in your videos as popups. These will supplement your income from the ads YouTube places.

That is EXACTLY what I plan to do. I feel like the setup video I made for OpenPHT is just a little too long. As soon as I get my capture device, I plan to script it out more carefully and hopefully cut it down by a couple of minutes. I never want to appear in my videos. Everything will be done as screen captures, slides or photographs. Every single minute of video should accomplish a purpose. I want zero fluff. The stand-out features of my channel will be making complicated stuff simple and being super concise.

I definitely want to monetize this as much as possible. My current plan is to produce enough content to have a decent initial offering, create a companion Facebook page and then start marketing it across all of the A/V forums and Reddit. Is there anything else I should be doing?

and make sure people subscribe to your channel. Views are good, but subscribers make you money.

and make sure people subscribe to your channel. Views are good, but subscribers make you money.

I'm still figuring out the subscriber part. I'm having a little trouble figuring out how to get the subscribe link put in at the end of the videos, probably because it is late at night.

Here is my latest addition:

Here is my latest. I am pretty happy with the script, but I really struggled with the visual aspect of this one. I don't really want to talk to a camera and am not set up to do that, but I'm afraid my approach will lose viewers quickly. Any input you guys have is welcome.

I cannot believe how long it is taking me to make these things, but a lot of it is learning curve. I did not use it for this video, but I spent some time setting up my Wetek Hub client box with my new Elgato capture device and figured out how to make that work. I also purchased a license of SnagIt and worked on learning how to use OpenShot Video Editor. I clearly still have a lot to learn.

Back