• Welcome to The Audio Annex! If you have any trouble logging in or signing up, please contact 'admin - at - theaudioannex.com'. Enjoy!
  • HTTPS (secure web browser connection) has been enabled - just add "https://" to the start of the URL in your address bar, e.g. "https://theaudioannex.com/forum/"
  • Congratulations! If you're seeing this notice, it means you're connected to the new server. Go ahead and post as usual, enjoy!
  • I've just upgraded the forum software to Xenforo 2.0. Please let me know if you have any problems with it. I'm still working on installing styles... coming soon.

70" or larger displays?

PaulyT

Behind the Curtain
Staff member
Administrator
Superstar
So, my cousin is looking to get a new TV. He's currently got a (I think) 50" plasma. He recently moved into a large house, and that tv looks TINY in that space. There's no way he could do a projector (this is in his living room), but he's looking for a larger set, at least 70". There's a fair bit of light in that room as it's a semi-open area connected to the kitchen and another sitting room, all against one side of the house with a lot of windows. He's not a "videophile" by any means - meaning he's not gonna care about a carefully calibrated set. He just wants something good that will last a while. I'm not sure if he cares about 4k, because I don't think he's planning to upgrade any of his other equipment, but I guess at this point it would be silly not to buy a 4k set.

He was specifically asking about vizio - not sure where he got that notion exactly... I told him about the Sony line that Haywood just got, but I don't know how big those go or how expensive they get in this higher size range.

Options? Thoughts?

i saw numerous sets above 65 inches at costco two days ago, boy they were massive. saw some vizios as well.

about 2 grand i think was the prices i saw.

If he has a Costco membership and wants a great value I'd start looking there....if it's just about value, Vizio will probably be fine, if longevity is truly a factor, then I'd look at the Samsungs there as well. Personally I'm not at the point quite yet where Vizio represents reliability. BUT Costco has some outstanding warranties.

Ok, it looks like Sony XBR75X940E is the current model of Haywood's, right? So what's the difference between the 850E, 900E, and 940E? (aside from several thousand dollars) Not clear to me... but I'll keep digging.

i agree with batman, longevity also means investing a reasonable expense, and i believe samsung does come into play.

i wish i could afford haywoods display. but the man has a very valid point. hit hard with an investment and you'd be set for a longer period of time.

Ok, it looks like Sony XBR75X940E is the current model of Haywood's, right? So what's the difference between the 850E, 900E, and 940E? (aside from several thousand dollars) Not clear to me... but I'll keep digging.

One big difference is that the 94x series has full-array local dimming, whereas the others are all edge lit. The 850 looks great for the money, but if you ever see it side by side with the 940, you won't wonder why there is a price difference.

i agree with batman, longevity also means investing a reasonable expense, and i believe samsung does come into play.

i wish i could afford haywoods display. but the man has a very valid point. hit hard with an investment and you'd be set for a longer period of time.

I'm a bit peeved with Sony, because the firmware on the chip in my set can be upgraded to support HDR10 Plus, but there is zero evidence that Sony plans to issues that update. Do they honestly think people are going to go out and drop another $6k two years later if they don't provide that? What the hell do they think they are gaining, other than pissed off customers who feel abandoned after dropping a huge pile of money. If the hardware didn't support it, that would be one thing, but this is just a firmware update.

Back